Dolan’s defeated as Ballerin miss out

Lissan 2-13

Ballerin 1-11

The ability of Lissan to take long range scores was the key factor in this extra time win over Ballerin in a hard fought and often scrappy contest at Swatragh.

A goal by substitute Damien Coey with virtually the last action of the 80 minutes plus made it a five point game but it was much closer than that.

Lissan finished the game with 14 men and also extra time with the same number as they picked up no less than nine yellow and two red cards against three yellows for the opposition.

Kevin O’Hagan in particular had a great game and it was his superb goal early in the second half that levelled the game in the 33rd minute after Ballerin had led by 1-06 to 0-06 at half time thanks to a well taken goal by Paul Ferris.

Lissan scorers: Kevin O’Hagan 1-03, Charlie McCann 0-04, 2f, Stephen McCrory 0-03f, Ronan Laverty 0-02, Eamon McElduff 0-01

Ballerin scorers: Ryan Deighan 0-05, 3f, Paul Ferris 1-02, 0-02frees, Eugene Mullan 0-03 and Mark Ferris 0-01

Moneymore 2-08

Limavady 2-05

Limavady had to field without their big midfielder John Deighan who broke a finger in training six days before the game and that was an area where they were second best.

Moneymore hit a purple patch between the 32nd and 56th minutes when they scored 2-05 without reply but all credit to a battling Limavady team who did not give up until the final whistle.

Stephen O’Neill 1-03, his goal from a penalty, and Daniel Jackson 1-01 did the damage for the winners

Limavady could have taken more chances and had a better half time lead than 1-03 to 0-04. Sean Brolly who had been substituted came on with five minutes left and got red carded and sent off in the first minute of added time.

Limavady scorers: Eoghan Kelly 1-1, Eoghan Rogers 1-0, Conor Forrest 0-1f, James Thompson, Niall McKeever and Sean Forrest 0-1 each.

Moneymore scorers: Stephen O’Neill 1-03, 1-00 pen, Daniel Jackson 1-01 Paudie O’Neill 0-2, Dean Kelly and Christy Young 0-1 each.

Swatragh 3-10

Sean Dolan’s 1-08

Swatragh had first use of the swirling wind at O’Cahan Park and restricted an out of sorts Dolans to a solitary point from accurate free taker Paul Loughery in the final minute of the half.

Dolans keeper David McGilloway then palmed a speculative lob from Michael Friel to the net for 1-04 to 0-00.

When Eugene O’Kane cracked home a close range goal after nine minutes into the second half for 2-07 to 0-03 the result looked a foregone conclusion.

In fairness Dolans kept plugging away and Kevin Nixon gave them a glimmer of hope with a 45th minute goal but even that lasted less than 60 seconds as keeper McGilloway made a routine catch on a Mark Loughery shot but then inexplicable allowed the ball to squirm out of his hands and roll between his legs to the net!

That was the end of their challenge, although the city side did battle to the end and, after an absolutely brilliant save by McGiloway and a straight red card for substitute Caolan Thompson for verbal abuse of the referee, Paul Loughery was most unlucky when he beat the keeper with a low shot but the ball rebounded to safety off the base of the post.

Swatragh scorers: Eugene O’Kane 1-02, 0-01 free, Michael Friel 1-01, Conor McAtamney 1-01, Cathal McQuillan 0-02, Ruairi Convery 0-02, Sean McNicholl and James Kearney 0-01 each

Dolans scorers: Kevin Nixon 1-00 , Paul Loughery 0-05 frees, Sean O’Rourke, Alan Grant and Dermot McLaughlin 0-01 each.