H&A Div One: Banagher held at Glenullin as Dungiven lose out

Glenullin forward Paddy Bradley was in excellent form in the draw against Banagher on Sunday.
Glenullin forward Paddy Bradley was in excellent form in the draw against Banagher on Sunday.
  • Slaughtneil and Ballinderry only teams with maximum points
  • Newbridge only team yet to pick up a point
  • Glenullin win first point of season in draw with Banagher

Foreglen 0-08

Foreglen 0-08, Glen 1-08

Once again the old adage of goals winning matches raised its head at O’Brien Park when Glen scored the only goal of a very tight game to win by three points.

The sides had shared ten points in the first half with Glen’s Danny Tallon the top scorer with 0-04, 0-01 from a free, Conor Convery scoring the other Glen point also from a free.

Mark McCormick scored Foreglen’s first point, Marty Farrell weighing in with two, Ciaran McFeely and Kevin O’Connor completing their first half tally.

Midway through the second half Mark O’Donnell was fouled in the goalmouth by the O’Brien’s keeper Gary Magee who was replaced by Fintan O’Hara. Up stepped Oisin Hegarty to take the penalty but his shot was parried out and he followed up to beat keeper O’Hara from the rebound shot!

Conor Convery from a free and Ryan Winton with a brace had the Glen second half points, Kevin O’Connor 0-02 and Ciaran McFeely scored for Foreglen.

The Foreglen scorers were Kevin O’Connor 0-03, Marty Farrell 0-02, Ciaran McFeely 0-02 and Mark McCormick 0-01

The Glen scorers were Danny Tallon 0-04, 0-01 free, Oisin Hegarty 1-00, Conor Convery 0-02 frees, Ryan Winton 0-02

Slaughtneil 2-15, Dungiven 1-10

Slaughtneil made it three wins from three games with this eventually comfortable eight point win over Dungiven at Emmet Park.

Fergal McEldowney scored both Slaughtneil goals, the first in the 2nd minute that helped the Emmet’s to a 1-07 to 1-05 interval lead, and then put the home side in control with his second goal in the 35th minute.

Padrig Kelly with two frees, Chrissy McKaigue with a brace from play, Enda McKaigue, Gerald Bradley from a free and Ronan Bradley scored the Slaughtneil first half points, Kelly (2), Sé McGuigan, Sean Cassidy, Padraig Cassidy and Kevin O’Neill from a free completing the scoring for Slaughtneil.

Dungiven stayed in touch in the first half with a 21st minute Aaron McCloskey goal but were unable to get the goal they needed to get back into the game after McEldowney’s second goal.

Conor Murphy (3), Kevin Johnston (2) and Fergal McGuigan (2) gave good scoring support to Aaron McCloskey who scored 1-01.

Slaughtneil scorers: Fergal McEldowney 2-00, Padrig Kelly 0-04, 0-02 frees, Chrissy McKaigue 0-02, Enda McKaigue 0-02, Gerald Bradley free, Ronan Bradley, Sé McGuigan, Sean Cassidy, Padraig Cassidy and Kevin O’Neill free 0-01 each

Dungiven scorers: Aaron McCloskey 1-01, Conor Murphy 0-03, Fergal McGuigan 0-02, Kevin Johnston 0-02, Marty Burke and Cathal McKeever 0-01 each

Ballinascreen 2-08, Magherafelt 1-07

By the 22nd minute Ballinascreen had raced into a 1-03 to no score lead with Paul Burns, Emmet McKillion and Ciaran Conway getting their points before Shane Mulgrew netted eight minutes from half time.

Shea Murphy and Niall Higgins pulled back points, Sean Woods and Niall Higgins pointing as Ballinascreen took a 1-04 to 0-03 lead to half time.

On the resumption Brendan Herron and Joe Keenan swopped points, Shane Mulgrew pointing for 1-06 to 0-04. Midway through the half Benny Heron netted after his first effort was blocked but Phillip McCusker sent the ball powerfully to the corner of the net to give Rossas a glimmer of hope. Anton McElhone and Shea Murphy had Magherafelt points either side of one by Brendan Herron.

Conor Kearns made it a three point game but a pointed free from Barry Grant secured victory for the home side.

Ballinascreen scorers: Shane Mulgrew 1-01, Benny Heron 1-00, Brendan Herron 0-02, Paul Burns, Emmett McKillion, Ciaran Conway, Sean Woods and Barry Grant free 0-01 each

Magherafelt scorers: Phillip McCusker 1-00, Shea Murphy 0-02, Niall Higgins 0-03, Joe Keenan and Conor Kearns 0-01 each

Glenullin 1-09, Banagher 0-12

Dermot O’Kane ensured Glenullin’s first point of the season when he netted in the final play of the game, Mark Lynch having wided from a free moments before when a score would surely have put the game beyond the Mitchel’s.

Banagher led 0-06 to 0-05 at half time, Mark Lynch 0-02 (1f), Padhraic Murphy 0-02, Ryan McGillion and Shane Farren their scorers.

Paddy Bradley was in fine form for the home team who were without the injured Eoin Bradley (hand), scoring 0-03 (2f) , in the first half and adding three more excellent points in the second half - Ruairi Boylan and Chris Dempsey Glenullin’s other first half scorers.

Dermot O’Kane also scored a second half point for Glenullin, Stefan McCloskey (2), Brian Óg McGilligan, Mark Lynch 0-02, 0-01 free and Padhraic Murphy completing the Banagher second half scoring.

Glenullin scorers were Paddy Bradley 0-06, 0-02 frees, Dermot O’Kane 1-01, Ruairi Boylan and Chris Dempsey 0-01 each

Banagher scorers were Mark Lynch 0-04, 0-02 frees, Padhraic Murphy 0-03, Stefan McCloskey 0-02, Ryan McGillion, Shane Farren and Brian Óg McGilligan 0-01 each

Swatragh 1-12

Newbridge 1-07

Swatragh scored their first win of the season to condemn Newbridge to their third league defeat and anchor them at the bottom of the table.

The Davitt’s led 1-06 to 0-03 at half time, Paul McAtamney grabbing the goal late in the first half to bring his tally to 1-02, with Robert McWilliams, Francis Kearney (2f) and Liam Kearney the other scorers.

Conor Doherty scored Newbridge’s goal in the second half but four points from Paul McAtamney ensured Swatragh’s victory, Ryan McElhone and Peter McGrogan each finishing with 0-02 each for the O’Leary’s

Swatragh scorers: Paul McAtamney 1-06 (3f), Francis Kearney 0-03f, Robert McWilliams, Liam Kearney and Sean Quinn 0-01 each

Newbridge scorers: Conor Doherty 1-00, Ryan McElhone 0-03, Peter McGrogan 0-03, Ciaran Brooks, Jude Diamond and Kevin Sweeney 0-01 each

Lavey 0-06, Loup 3-16

For a brief spell Lavey put up resistance at Gulladuff and briefly took the lead with three unanswered points, two from Anthony McGurk and one from the pacy Niall Toner for 0-03 to 0-02 after 10 minutes and then again two minutes later for 0-04 to 0-03 when McGurk pointed another free but thereafter it was very much damage limitation as Loup scored at will.

A stunning 23rd minute strike from Ciaran Devlin opened up a 1-07 to 0-04 lead in the 23rd minute, Anthony O’Neill bringing his first half tally to four points as Loup took a comfortable 1-08 to 0-04 to the break.

The second half saw a procession of scores, Anthony O’Neill starting the deluge, two minutes into the half. Ten minutes from time substitute Karl Gallagher fired home the second goal, another replacement Glen Martin netting bulging the net three minutes later, with Paul Young and Michael McVey on target with late points.

Cailean O’Boyle did not start the game but came on as a substitute for Sam Dodds eight minutes into the second half.

Lavey scorers were Anthony McGurk 0-05f and Niall Toner 0-01

Loup scorers: Anthony O’Neill 0-06 (5f), Gavan Mallon 0-03, Glen Martin, Karl Gallagher and Ciaran Devlin 1-00, Terence O’Brien and Paul Young 0-02 each , Declan McVey, Aidan McAlynn, Brian Doyle

Coleraine 2-10, Bellaghy 0-10

Bellaghy got off to a positive start with points from Peter Cassidy, Dermot Larkin and Declan Graffin inside six minutes.

Two minutes later Declan Mullan took a pass from Sean Leo McGoldrick and opened Coleraine’s account with a point.

In the 12th minute Colm McGoldrick had a shot blocked in the goalmouth but Stephen Coyles followed up to volley the ball to the net for 1-01 to 0-03. Ruairi Leonard added two points to put three between the sides.

Then Colm McGoldrick had another effort blocked in the goalmouth but this time volleyed the ball to the net on the rebound. Sean Leo McGoldrick and Eoghan Brown exchanges points, as did Colm McGoldrick, from a free, and Frankie Donnelly before Niall Holly came upfield to grab a point.

Declan Graffin responding from an acute angled pointed free and in the final minute of the half, Sean Leo McGoldrick pointed, Eoghan Brown landing an injury time point from a free when Frankie Donnelly was fouled.

The second half was not as score-laden, Colm McGoldrick with two frees, Declan Graffin and Eoghan Brown also from frees, scoring in the third quarter.

Then Bellaghy hit five wides in a row before Colm McGoldrick and Declan Graffin finished the game with pointed frees.

Bellaghy lost their young forward Ruairi McElwee with a shoulder injury, Fergal Doherty also retiring late in the game. Coleraine scorers: Colm McGoldrick 1-04 (4f), Stephen Coyles 1-00, Sean Leo McGoldrick 0-02, Ruairi Mooney 0-02, Niall Holly and Declan Mullan 0-01 each

Bellaghy scorers: Declan Graffin 0-04, (3f), Eoghan Brown 0-03 (2f), Peter Cassidy, Dermot Larkin and Frankie Donnelly 0-01 each

Kilrea 1-10, Ballinderry 1-12

Ballinderry maintained their unbeaten start to the season with a two point win over Kilrea at Pearse Park.

The Shamrocks were in control in the first half, Ryan Bell and Aaron Devlin very much to the fore as they took a 1 1-06 to 0-04 lead to the break, with Eoghan Rodgers, Joe Morgan and James Kielt (2) scoring for Kilrea.

Tiarnan Rafferty and James Kielt (2) had third quarter points but Ballinderry looked to be in total control until a 1-03 scoring surge was sparked by a Chrissy Quigg 50th minute goal with Eoghan Rodgers and James Kielt (2) landing points that cut Ballinderry’s lead to the minimum before they secured victory with a late point.

Kilrea scorers: James Kielt 0-05, Chrissy Quigg 1-00, Eoghan Rodgers 0-02, Dermot McWilliams, Joe Morgan and Tiarnan Rafferty 0-01 each