H&A Div One: Dungiven claim derby honours as Shamrocks keep on winning

Dungiven's Ryan McElhinneywas in impressive form against Glenullin on Sunday.
Dungiven's Ryan McElhinneywas in impressive form against Glenullin on Sunday.
  • Ballinderry now three points clear at top of table
  • Only two points separating bottom six sides
  • Dungiven up to sixth, one point behind trio of clubs on 10 points

Dungiven claimed the ‘derby’ day honours with a two points win over Glenullin while there was another impressive showing from Ballinderry and Slaughtneil slipped to a second defeat of season.

Glenullin 1-09, Dungiven 0-14

Dungiven mad it four wins and a draw from their seven league games with this two-points win over a Glenullin side that made a very sluggish start with Dungiven hitting five unanswered points before the Mitchel’s got off the mark.

The game - a home game for Glenullin - was played at Limavady because of a ruling by the 2014 Derry CCC Discipline Committee that the league meeting between the sides in 2015 would be played at a neutral venue.

Dungiven got off to a flying start with five unanswered points in the opening quarter, corner back Davie McLaughlin pushing forward to score the first two points. Sean O’Neill also grabbed a brace in this excellent spell for Dungiven, Ryan McElhinney (2), Martin Burke and Kevin Boyle helping Dungiven to 0-08 to 0-04 at half time.

Paddy Bradley opened Glenullin’s account for 0-05 to 0-01, Dermot O’Kane then landing a ‘45’ before adding another point for 0-07 to 0-03, Paddy Bradley then getting their fourth point of the half from a free,

Paddy Bradley pointed two frees to keep Glenullin in touch at 0-11 to 0-06, Ryan McElhinney, James Kelly and Kevin Boyle on target for Dungiven.

However twelve minutes from time in a breakaway from midfield the ball reached Ronan Bradley and he drew the last Dungiven defender before releasing Paddy Bradley and he blasted the ball to the top corner of the net to leave two between the sides.

In the closing minutes points from Darrell O’Kane and Sean O’Neill for Dungiven were matched by scores from Paddy Bradley, a Ruairi Boylan free and Christopher Dempsey made it a one point game 0-13 to 1-09 but Paul Murphy eased Dungiven over the line with a late point.

Glenullin scorers: Paddy Bradley 1-05 (3f), Dermot O’Kane 0-02 (1 ‘45), Ruairi Boylan 0-1f and Christopher Dempsey 0-01 each

Dungiven scorers: Ryan McElhinney 0-04, Sean O’Neill 0-03, Davie McLaughlin 0-02, James Kelly, Martin Burke, Kevin Boyle, Darrell O’Kane and Paul Murphy 0-01 each

Glenullin: Cathal Óg Mullan; Mark O’Kane, Gerard O’Kane, Barry Mullan; Eamon McNicholl, John O’Kane, Brian Mullan; Leigh Mullan, Ruairi Boylan; Rory Bradley, Dermot O’Kane, Donal McNicholl; Dominic McIlvar, Paddy Bradley, Chris Dempsey

Dungiven: Sean McNicholl; Marty McCloskey, Aaron McCloskey, Davy McLaughlin; Kevin Boyle, Cathal McKeever, Daniel Mullan; Sean O’Kane, Paul Murphy’ Martin Burke, Darrell O’Kane, Gabriel McGuigan; Sean O’Neill, Ryan McElhinney, James Kelly. (Subs) Jamie McGonigle for J Kelly; Stephen McGuigan for J McGonigle.

Referee: Barry Cassidy (Bellaghy

Ballinderry 4-15, Bellaghy 0-05

Bellaghy travelled to unbeaten league leaders Ballinderry and came away from Shamrock Park on the wrong end of a 22 point defeat, the home side scoring two goals in each half for a commanding victory that took them three points clear at the top after seven rounds,

Peter Cassidy 0-02, Eoghan Brown, Frankie Donnelly and Declan Graffin scored for Tones in the first half, with Cassidy and Karl McCallion getting 0-01 each in the second period,

Bellaghy scorers: Peter Cassidy 0-02, Eoghan Brown 0-02, Frankie Donnelly, Declan Graffin and Karl McCallion 01 each

Slaughtneil 0-06, Ballinascreen 0-11

Without key players all over the pitch, Slaughtneil really did not get to grips with Ballinascreen in this game.

Indeed the nearest they came to the visitors at Emmet Park was 0-01 each after three minutes when Kevin O’Neill pointed after Shane Mulgrew had pointed a first minute free.

With Carlus McWilliams in mercurial form at centre-back and Ballinascreen forwards funnelling back repeatedly to form a screen in front of goal, Slaughtneil were unable to penetrate with any purpose or regularity.

Shane Mulgrew put Ballinascreen ahead in the 12th minute, Carlus McWilliams scoring a delightful point from 50m in the 20th miunute and Ronan Devlin then adding another for 0-04 to 0-01,

In the closing minutes of the half McWilliams, from a free, and Shane Mulgrew also from a placed ball gave Ballinascreen a 0-06 to 0-02 interval lead, Gerald Bradley getting the Slaughtneil point.

By the end of the third quarter Ballinascreen had stretched the lead to 0-09 to 0-04, after Padrig Kelly had scored the opening point of the second half from a free, Mulgrew from a free, Phillip Bradley and Brendan Herron on target.

Padrig Kelly scored his second point with a superb 40m effort, Kevin O’Neill and Gerald Bradley giving Slaughtneil a glimmer of hope with points for 0-09 to 0-06 in the 50th minute.

However ‘player of the match’ Carlus McWilliams slammed shut the door with two points and Ballinascreen ran out deserving winners.

Slaughtneil scorers: Kevin O’Neill 0-02, Gerald Bradley 0-02 and Padrig Kelly 0-02 (1f).

Ballinascreen scorers: Shane Mulgrew 0-05 (4f), Carlus McWilliams 0-03, Ronan Devlin, Phillip Bradley and Brendan Herron 0-01 each

Swatragh 1-10, Lavey 2-09

Lavey played against a strong breeze in the first half. Caolan McGurk opened the scoring after two minutes, however a free shortly after from Paul McAtamney and points from Sean McNicholl and Brian Diamond pushed Swatragh into an early 0-03 to 0-01 lead.

Two Niall Toner points, in the 5th and 9th minutes left the game level. Toner looked to be through on goal after 12 minutes however he was pulled down by the Swatragh keeper. Liam Murphy converted the penalty kick and this turned out to be Lavey’s last score of the first half.

Swatragh began to win the midfield battle with Michael Friel dominant. A goal and point from Ryan Dillon and two pointed frees from Seamus McFlynn put Swatragh into a three point lead at half time, 1-06 to 1-03.

Two frees at the start of the second half from Diamond put Swatragh into a strong lead but Lavey responded with two points from Kevin O’Neill and three from the clinical Anthony McGurk. This put Lavey two points behind going into the last five minutes of the game.

Pearse McWilliams and Paul McAtamney from a free had Swatragh points. Lavey scored a scrambled goal from a Swatragh defensive error to go into a one point lead.

Swatragh were trying to retain possession and work the ball out of defence with fist passes when Ryan Dillon passed the ball back toward his own goalkeeper but the goalkeeper had moved out and the ball just went into back of net!

Swatragh immediately counter attacked and Ciaran O’Boyle pulled off a fantastic save from a Eugene O’Kane effort to keep two between the sides.

Swatragh scorers: Brian Diamond 0-03 (1f), Seamus McFlynn 0-02f, Paul McAtamney 0-02f, Sean McNicholl, Ryan Dillon and Pearse McWilliams 0-01 each

Lavey scorers were Anthony McGurk 0-04 (1f), Liam Murphy 1-00pen, Niall Toner 0-02, Kevin O’Neill 0-02, Caolan McGurk and Swatragh ‘own goal’

Glen 0-11, Banagher 0-08

Banagher had the advantage of the strong wind in the first half but could only muster a 0-06 to 0-04 interval lead, with Shane Farren scoring three points, two from frees, Tiarnan Moore, Ryan Lynch and Stefan McCloskey also on target.

Michael Warnock, Danny Tallon 0-02 and Ryan Dougan scored for Glen but they still trailed by three points midway through the second half.

However a strong finish saw them reel in Banagher with a succession of points from Ryan Winton (2), Ryan Dougan (2), Paul Gumming, Declan Brolly and Danny Tallon to run out three point winners, Shane Farren from a free and Gavan O’Neill Banagher’s only scorers in the second half.

Glen scorers: Danny Tallon 0-03, Ryan Dougan 0-03, Ryan Winton 0-03, Michael Warnock, Paul Gunning and Declan Brolly 0-01 each

Banagher scorers were Shane Farren 0-04 (3f), Ryan Lynch, Tiarnan Moore, Gavan O’Neill and Stefan McCloskey 0-01 each

Foreglen 0-13, Loup 1-11

Even without their leading scorer Foreglen came very, very close to getting something from this game at O’Brien Park.

The sides were level going into the final minute with Foreglen in possession and moving forward. However they tried to over-elaborate and became careless and lost possession, Loup transferring the ball to Brian Doyle who boomed over the winning point.

Foreglen had the edge in the first half and recovered well from an early Michael McVey goal after Ciaran Devlin had pointed.

By half time they were 0-08 to 1-04 in front with Ciaran McFeely, Caolan O’Connor, Gavan McCormick, Eunan McFeely, McCormick again and John Duffy getting their points, Anthony O’Neill, Declan McVey and Jason Rocks completing the Loup first half scoring.

Loup just edged the second half scoring 0-07 to 0-05, Michael McVey, Anthony O’Neill from a free, Jason Rocks, Roddy O’Kane and Gavan Mallon on target to tie the scores at 0-13 to 1-10 until Brian Doyle capitalised on Foreglen’s careless play to score the winning point in the final minute.

Gavan McCormick scored three second half points for Foreglen, Liam O’Hara getting the other two.

Foreglen scorers: Gavan McCormick 0-06, Ciaran McFeely 0-02, Liam O’Hara 0-02, Caolan O’Connor, Eunan McFeely, John Duffy 0-01 each

Loup scorers: Michael McVey 1-01, Jason Rocks 0-02, Anthony O’Neill 0-02, Brian Doyle 0-02, Roddy O’Kane, Ciaran Devlin, Gavan Mallon and Declan McVey 0-01 each

Kilrea 0-12, Newbridge 2-11

Newbridge made it back-to-back wins with this five point win over a Kilrea side that has faltered after winning four of their opening five games.

This much needed victory takes the O’Leary’s away from the bottom of the table and gives them a realistic chance of getting clear of the relegation zone.

With points from Odhran Bradley, Steven Johnston, Benny Quigg (2) and Paddy McNeill Kilrea led 0-05 to 0-03 after 28 minutes, Ciaran Brooks, Peter McGrogan and Kevin Sweeney for Newbridge.

However two points from McGrogan and one from Sweeney in the last couple of minutes gave them a 0-06 to 0-05 half time lead.

Within five minutes of the restart Ryan McElhone, Paddy McGuigan and Peter McGrogan were on target for the O’Leary’s and Odhran McGlone netted for a 1-06 turnaround in a seven minute scoring burst either side of the break for 1-09 to 0-05.

Kilrea did rally with points from Steven Johnston (2), Benny Quigg (3), Gerard McLaughlin and Liam Morrow but two points from Kevin Sweeney kept Newbridge ahead by two points and were twice denied goals by fine saves from the Kilrea keeper.

Four minutes from time Michael Bateson put the result beyond doubt when he fired home the second goal.

Kilrea scorers: Benny Quigg 0-05, 0-01 free, Steven Johnston 0-03, 0-01 free, Gerard McLaughlin, Odhran Bradley, Paddy McNeill and Liam Morrow 0-01 each

Newbridge scorers: Kevin Sweeney 0-04, Peter McGrogan 0-04 (2f), Michael Bateson and Odhran McGlone 1-00 each, Ciaran Brooks 0-01

Coleraine 0-11, Magherafelt 1-05

A hard earned home victory over Magherafelt has seen Eoghan Rua move into mid-table on seven points from seven games.

In a low scoring first half, Eoghan Rua dominated for long periods but did not convert the chances their build up play merited.

Meanwhile Magherafelt were finding the Eoghan Rua defence difficult to break down and only managed one point in the opening 25 minutes as they fell 0-05 to 0-01 behind.

Indeed there was only one point scored in the first 15 minutes and that came just two minutes in from Colm McGoldrick. Eoghan Rua squandered several chances before their second arrived some 15 minutes later, again McGoldrick on target from a free. A superb Richard Carey point had the home side three up before Magherafelt registered their first score fully 19 minutes in from Paul Brown.

Two well worked points from Ruari Leonard and Conor Carey had Coleraine 0-5 to 0-1 ahead by the 24th minute before Fergal Duffin got forward to point Magherafelt’s second score. Duffin, at full back had a superb game on Colm McGoldrick giving him very little room to manoeuvre throughout.

With Richard Carey and Declan Mullan driving forward, Coleraine eased five clear as Daryl Coyles and Conor Carey pointed for a 0-7 to 0-2 lead but Magherafelt hit back with an Antone McElhone goal to leave just two between the sides at the break.

That goal gave Magherafelt a real boost as they were very much second best for most of the first half. Even though it was Eoghan Rua who added to their lead with a Stephen Coyles point, Magherafelt enjoyed the better of the third quarter.

Points from Niall Higgins and Shea Murphy brought it back to a one point game and at that stage the visitors seemed to be getting on top. However by the mid-point of the second half, the home side had regained the initiative with points from Colm McGoldrick and Daryl Coyles. From another turnover Shane Heavron profited to leave just two between the sides again going into the last 10 minutes.

The game had become a little tetchy with both teams going down to 14 men in separate incidents for double yellows, Anton McElhone for Magherafelt and then, in the last minute, Declan Mullan seeing red after his second yellow.

Richard Carey, who had a superb game, eased Coleraine three clear five minutes from the end. Right at the end Magherafelt launched another attack but a superb high catch in a crowded goalmouth by Richard Carey saw off that chance for a dramatic equaliser.

Coleraine scorers: Colm McGoldrick (0-3, 0-1f), Richard Carey (0-2), Conor Carey (0-2), Daryl Coyles (0-2), Ruairi Leonard (0-1), Stephen Coyles (0-1)

Magherafelt scorers: Antone McElhone (1-0), Paul Brown, Fergal Duffin, Niall Higgins, Shea Murphy, Shane Heavron (0-1 each).

Coleraine: Ryan McGeough; Ciaran Lagan, Ciaran Mullan, Mark McTaggart; Stephen Coyles, Barry McGoldrick, Declan Mullan; Ruairi Leonard; Ruairi Mooney; Paul Daly, Richard Carey, Ciaran Lenehan; Conor Carey Colm McGoldrick, Daryl Coyles. (Subs) Sean Heneghan for D Coyles, 55mins.

Magherafelt: Chris Lynch; Phillip Collins, Fergal Duffin, Padraig Kielt; Aedan Kerr, Ciaran McKay, Paul Brown; Conan O’Brien, Conor Smylie; Niall Higgins, Shane Heavron, Anton McElhone; Conor McErlain, Shea Murphy, Phillip McCusker. (Subs) Paul McCusker for C McErlain, 47mins.