H&A Div Two: Drumsurn shock Lilywhites as Trasna keep climbing

Ciaran Mullan was on the scoresheet for Drumern as they shocked Craigbane to continue their impressive start to the season.
Ciaran Mullan was on the scoresheet for Drumern as they shocked Craigbane to continue their impressive start to the season.
  • Drumsurn’s surprise victory moves them into fourth sport
  • Doire Trasna up into fifth with three wins from five games
  • Moneymore and Limavady now four points adrift at bottom of table

Greenlough are the only unbeaten team in the league with full points from six games, Claudy and Steelstown in close contention with eight points from six games.

At the bottom, Limavady and Moneymore are pointless after six games and both are in deep relegation trouble.

Craigbane 4-08, Drumsurn 2-15

Drumsurn cause a huge upset when they travelled to Craigbane and won a high scoring game. Craigbane had three players David Lowry, Lee Moore and Gavin Conwell red carded in the second half and one player getting a black.

Drumsurn had Owen Ferris sent-off on a straight red in the Lee Moore incident. Craigbane had another player black carded.

In general, it was an open and entertaining game with some great score taking from either team. Very few teams score 4-8 in Division Two and lose but first half goals from Ciaran Mullan and Pierce McNickle gave the visitors a surprise 2-07 to 1-04 interval lead.

Ryan Moore scored 3-1 but received a black card in the second half. Lee Moore’s goalscoring ability looked as if it might save the day but, with the last action of an exciting contest, Drumsurn’s winner came from an unusual source in the form of reserve keeper Francis Shivers.

Earlier in the game the Drumsurn keeper Stephen Harbinson tipped a Lee Moore penalty over the bar. All in all, a good win for Drumsurn who are now on eight points from six games.

Drumsurn scorers: Pierce McNickle 1-6, Ciaran Mullan 1-3, Darly Mullan 0-2, Ryan Mullan, Aaron Butcher, Francis Shivers and Christopher Harbinson 0-01 each.

Craigbane scorers: Ryan Moore 3-1, David Lowry, 1-0 Lee Moore 0-4 Gavin Conwell 0-2 and Jude McLaughlin 0-1.

Ballerin 1-09, Lissan 1-11

Considering the strong wind in the first half and the driving rain in the second, this was a decent game of football with Lissan just about deserving their win. Ballerin rattled the crossbar twice in the first half and after playing into the wind, they trailed by just 108 to 1-04 at the interval.

Shane Ferris closed the gap after a minute of the second half but it was a further 20 minutes before they scored again. Lissan defended cleverly and clinched their second win with late points from young corner-back Shea McKernan and the ever accurate Paddy Coey.

Lissan effectively won the game in the final minutes of the first half. A Mark Ferris goal had closed the gap after Lissan had led by 0-5 to 0-1 at the mid-point of the half. With the score at 1-3 to 0-6, Lissan hit 1-2 in quick succession with Coey finishing off a clever move by first timing the ball to the net. The points came from the excellent Ronan Laverty and tall midfielder, Michael Quigley.

With the score at 1-10 to 1-08 Eugene Mullan, who had been excellent in the Ballerin attack, missed a simple free with five minutes to go but overall Lissan deserved their hard earned win. Ballerin suffered another injury blow when midfielder Jarlath Mooney got injured in a collision mid way through the second half.

Lissan scorers: Patrick Coey 1-4 (1f), Ronan Laverty 0-2f, Patrick McElroy, Noel Conway, Michael Quigley and Shea McKernan 0-1 each.

Ballerin scorers: Eugene Mullan 0-6 (3f), Mark Ferris 1-0, Paul Ferris 0-1f, Pascal McKay and Shane Ferris 0-1 each.

Ballymaguigan 1-10, Doire Trasna 2-09

Just as they did last year, Doire Trasna made the long trip to Ballymaguigan and came away with a two point win. Ballymaguigan were poor in the first half and trailed by 2-8 to 0-3 at half-time with the visitors goals coming from an unlikely source, half-backs Gavin Kelly and Daryl Mallett.

The Ballymaguigan defence was all over the place in that period but it was a different scenario in the last half hour when St Trea’s began to cut down the space for the speedy city attackers. They outscored Trasna by 1-7 to a single point in the second half with a Fergal Johnston goal giving them a lifeline.

Trasna, though, are a much improved team in the last two years and held on for what was a deserved victory. Dee Starrett played a big part in the victory with three quite unbelievable long range points from frees to keep Enda Lindsay and Eoghan Carlin’s men climbing the table.

Doire Trasna scorers: Dee Starrett 0-4, Gavin Kelly and Daryl Mallett 1-0 each, Micheal McNaught 0-2, Paul Quigley, Darren Harkin and Paul Quigley 0-1 each.

Ballymaguigan scorers: Fergal Johnston 1-1, Johnny Cassidy 0-4, Cathal Doyle, Barry McGlone, Liam Young. Padraig Martin and Darren Conway 0-1 each.

Claudy 1-12, Moneymore 1-07

This was the classic case of a game of two halves. At half-time, high flying Claudy led by 1-8 to 0-2 with Aaron Kerrigan in his usual accurate form. A Patrick Feeney goal in the second came too late for Moneymore to make a serious challenge but they will be happy enough with their improving form.

The windy conditions made it difficult to play constructive football but Claudy hd the edge in speed and finishing power.

Claudy scorers: Aaron Kerrigan 0-7, Blaine Carlin 1-1, Shea Kerrigan, Odhran McCloskey Callum McElhinney and Paul White 0-1 each.

Moneymore scorers: Patrick Feeney 1-1, Adie Gavin, Paudie O’Neill and Stephen McGurk 0-2 each.

Slaughtmanus 0-03, Castledawson 1-12

This game was abandoned after a serious incident in which referee Mark O’Neill was alledged to have been struck with six minutes remaining.

A badly weakened Slaughtmanus were never at the races, trailing by 1-10 to nil at half-time after facing the strong wind. The second half was better balanced without the home team ever looking like closing the gap. A first half goal by Luke Doyle set the St. Malachy’s on the way but the final decision will now be made in the boardroom. Luke Doyle, Conor Scullion Aidan McElhone, Ryan Connery, Paddy Henry and Mickey Hicks were the Castledawson marksmen. Lee Toland 0-2 and Kevin King 0-1 scored for the St. Mary’s

Desertmartin 0-06, Steelstown 1-12

Steelstown have the advantage over a lot of teams in that they have eight or nine players capable of getting scores. They had nine points to spare over Desertmartin at Longfield to keep their unbeaten away record. The St. Martin’s were just a point behind at the interval but had the wind to face in the second half and when big midfielder, Darren McDaid, hit the only goal of the game there was no way back for the home team.

Steelstown scorers Mickey McKinney, Brian Devine 0-3 each, Darren McDaid 1-0, Oran Sweeney, Paul Ferris, Neil Forester Gareth Logue, Emmett McBride 0-1 each.

Desertmartin scorers: Gregory McGovern 0-2, Declan Murray, Enda McGuckin, Oran Kelly and Gavin McGreevy 0-1 each.

Limavady 0-05, Greenlough 3-17

Even without their county bound players Enda Lynn and Niall Loughlin, this was the easiest of wins for Greenlough. Indeed, but for some fine saves it could have been worse for Limavady. It was over as a contest with Greenlough leading by 1-12 to 0-3 and there was no chance of the unbeaten leaders being overhauled.

No less than nine of the winners team got on the score sheet with former defender Christopher Lagan topping the poll with 1-3. Cormac O’Neill and Fintan Kelly 1-2 each, Brian McCallion 0-3, John Loughlin, John Og McPeake, Kevin McCann 0-1 each and Ryan Tohill 0-3f completed another big total for Joe Cassidy’s team.

Limavady replied through Cormac Quigley 0-2, Sean Forrest, Jordan Fleming and Finbar O’Brien 0-1 each.