Aaron Barry's Derry City future in doubt

AARON BARRY's future at Derry City has been plunged into serious doubt after manager, Kenny Shiels revealed the player failed to make contact with him this week.

Thursday, 1st December 2016, 5:23 pm
Updated Tuesday, 6th December 2016, 4:23 pm
DECISION EXPECTED . . . Aaron Barry is expected to make a decision on his future next week.

Shiels was expecting a phone call from the 24 year-old Co. Wicklow man on Wednesday to confirm if he would be accepting an improved offer from the club.

However, the centre half, who missed the final four months of the season through injury, failed to get in touch. And with several other League of Ireland clubs making approaches, Shiels is concerned he’s been tempted by a ‘big money’ move elsewhere.

Indeed, Shiels reckons Barry’s return to Foyleside now looks ‘ominous’ but insists there’s ‘no player bigger than the club’.

When contacted by the ‘Journal’ last night, Barry claimed he was still ‘undecided’ and confirmed there was more than one offer on the table.

It’s understood league runners-up, Cork City, are one of those interested parties and Barry could be set to follow Conor McCormack to the ‘Leesiders’.

The Arklow man refused to identify the interested clubs, however, he expects to make his decision early next week.

“I have a few other offers but I’m just undecided at the minute,” said Barry.

“I have to take everything into account, my family and everything else. It’s not an easy decision.

“I have to do what’s best for myself and my family,” he added. “Nothing’s decided at this point. It’s still very much up in the air and I’d say it could be early next week before I’ve made a decision whether it’s Derry or somewhere else. But at the minute I’m not sure.”

Shiels is ‘disappointed’ Barry hasn’t yet accepted Derry’s offer, having met his demands in an improved deal.

“He hasn’t rang me which looks very ominous,” said Shiels. “He told me he was 95 per cent sure he would stay with Derry when I was last talking to him. But now it appears he’s had his head turned by offers from other clubs who can offer big bucks.

“I’ve worked really hard trying to get him the offer he wanted from the Chairman and the CEO. I met Aaron’s demands,” he stressed.

“I was expecting him to ring me yesterday (Wednesday) but he hasn’t.”