Cup dream ends as ‘Stute want third

editorial image

INSTITUTE may be about to end their Championship season with a bad taste in their mouths having been dumped out of the Coca Cola Intermediate Cup final, but the Drumahoe men do face an interesting fixture this Saturday when Dergview visit the Riverside Stadium.


In fact, Dergview will replace ‘Stute in the Interediate Cup final having protested that striker, Joe McCready, had played more than the permitted senior games to be involved in the intermediate competition.

And having defeated Tobermore on Saturday last, ‘Stute’s Head of Development, Paul Kee, will hope to gain a small sense of satisfaction by attempting to overcome the Castlederg side on the pitch this weekend.

“It’s very disappointing in that we had an opportunity to win three cup this season, but that was taken away from us due to protest, but one thing is for sure, we will all learn from this, I know I certainly will.

“Our problem has been attempting to motivate the players after the news was received last week and while we had led Tobermore 3-1 at half-time, I felt the game was very flat after the break and their second goal actually made us sit up and take notice.”

In what was a typical end of season encounter, Stute’s young keeper, Corey Wilson, again produced a devastating performance having made a series of top drawer saves during the game.

“Our priority is to win our final two games and finish in third spot - we play Dergview on Saturday and, obviously, there has been a lot of talk about that match,” he noted.

End to End Action

With nothing but pride to play for, both teams opted to attack with clear-cut scoring chances created at each end during the early stages.

Tobermore striker, Neil Lamont, brought the best out of ‘Stute keeper, Corey Wilson but he blasted the rebound over the crossbar when it appeared easier to score.

And fellow striker, Davy Patton, was also denied by Wilson, the young keeper getting down well to divert the Tobermore hitman’s low shot wide of his upright.

At the other end Institute’s Joe McCready went close with a diving header before Sean McCarron should have done better when bursting through the Tobermore defence but he ballooned his shot over the crossbar.

With play ebbing and flowing Tobermore winger, David McClements, sent Lamont scampering clear but the striker crashed his effort off the post in the 22nd minute before the ball was hacked clear.

Institute finally broke the deadlock on the half hour following a set-piece situation. McCarron did well to beat the Tobermore keeper, William Hassan, in a race for possession but his shot was deflected wide of the target at the expense of a corner.

And when Dean Jarvis floated the ball into the danger area, Hassan appeared to misjudge the centre with ‘Stute centre-half, John Curran, rising well to head home from close range.

But Tobermore levelled matters from the penalty spot in the 35th minute, Graeme Taylor bringing McClements crashing down to earth before Lamont drove the ball home.

The home side continued to push and they moved back into the driving seat two minutes later when McCarron’s persistence paid off.

Having weaved his way into the danger area, the striker’s shot cannoned off the upright before striking the back of the Tobermore keeper and into the net.

And McCarron made it 3-1 three minutes before the break thanks to a superb cross by McCready, the small striker controlling the cross on this chest before volleying the ball home.

The overall quality of the game seemed to die following the change of ends but it was Tobermore who came closest to scoring when Lamont’s glancing header shaved the top of the ‘Stute crossbar.

Tobermore did reduce the deficit in the 85th minute, again from the penalty spot, after John Curran was adjudged to have pushed Dean Stewart when defending a free-kick.

And Lamont stepped up for a second time to drive the ball past Wilson from the spot.

Institute – Wilson; Roddy (McKeever, 84) Curran, Tayor, Jarvis; McCrudden (Walsh 70), McCauley (McEneff, 70), Harkin, Glackin; McCready, McCarron.

Tobermore United – Hassan; McKenna, Donaldson (Magill, 60 mins.), Neill, Campbell; McClements, Stewart, Heneghan, Miller (Bradley, 71); Lamont, Patton.

Referee – Mr. D. Loughrey (Limavady).