Blarney United 0-4 Derry City

Rory Patterson netted a hat-trick against Blarney United.
Rory Patterson netted a hat-trick against Blarney United.

FAI Ford Cup holders, Derry City, started the defence of their 2013 title with a win over Munster League minnows, Blarney United in O’Shea Park, Cork, yesterday afternoon.

The Candy Stripes took the lead through Rory Patterson in the second half but somehow failed to increase the deficit until the dying minutes of the game when substitute Ryan Curran scored and Patterson secured his hat-trick in the 88th and 90th minutes respectively.

Declan Devine was unable to take charge of yesterday’s game as he attended his daughter’s First Holy Communion.

This meant the managerial duties of the day fell to Derry City assistant manager, Paul Hegarty.

Derry City captain Kevin Deery had a great chance to open the scoring the first minute but his long range effort from the edge of the box went wide.

Derry winger, Patrick McEleney went extremely close to breaking the deadlock in the 16th minute.

In typical Patrick McEleney fashion, he collected the ball on the wing before dropping inside and firing a ferocious shot at goal. Lucky for Blarney United, goalkeeper Steve Gahan made a fantastic save.

Derry defender Stewart Greacen headed over the bar in the 17th minute whilst Patrick McEleney’s 67th minute shot was deflected into the path of Michael Rafter but the young striker couldn’t find the target.

Rory Patterson broke the deadlock in the 52nd minute when team mate Barry McNamee played a wonderful ball into the area before the Strabane man finished easily past Gahan.

Patterson almost made it 2-0 in the 54th minute but his close range shot was saved.

Second half substitute Ryan Curran doubled Derry’s lead in the 85th minute.

Curran’s initial shot was well saved by Gahan but the Derry youngster made no mistake with his second effort and put the ball into the net.

The journalists at O’Shea Park had already given the man-of-the-match award to Gahan when Rory Patterson secured his hat-trick in the 88th and 90th minutes respectively.

Next up for Derry City is Shelbourne in Tolka Park next Saturday (June 8); kick-off 8pm

Blarney United: Steven Gahan; Alan Weldon, David Sweeney, Aidan Leahy, Denis Buckley; Cathal O’Neill (Ivan O’Leary 78 mins), Ray O’Leary, Keiran Murray, John Lawlor (Alan Stewart 66 mins) Pat Keane, Shane Stewart.

Subs not used: Eric Tobin, Stephen Jennings, Mark Cremin, Eric Baxter, Cian Woods.

Derry City: Gerard Doherty, Simon Madden, Shane McEleney, Ruaidhri Higgins, Stewart Greacen; Paddy Kavanagh (Michael Duffy 67 mins), Kevin Deery, Patrick McEleney, Barry McNamee, Michael Rafter (Ryan Curran 80 mins), Rory Patterson.

Subs not used: Ryan McBride, Joseph Coll.

Referee: Mr. Anthony Buttimer.