Derry boss laments shock cup defeat

A worried looking Derry manager
A worried looking Derry manager

Derry City manager Stephen Kenny says that his team’s performance against Wexford Youths in the FAI Cup on Friday was “not good enough”.

The Candystripes lost 4-1 to Noel O’Connor’s men in the third round of the competition. It was a match that many expected them to win comfortably but a hat-trick from Danny Furlong and a strike from Ben Ryan ensured progression to the next round for the Ferrycarrig Park team.

Talking to the Sunday Journal yesterday afternoon, Kenny said that he was bitterly disappointed with the final result and revealed that it was the first time that he had lost a game to First Division team whilst managing a Premier Division club.

“It’s been a very long day,” said Kenny. “We were very disappointed after the game but if truth be told the performance just wasn’t good enough.

“It’s a strange experience for myself as I have never lost to First Division team whilst managing in the Premier Division.”

Kenny said that he thought his team started well but agreed that their performance worsened as soon as Furlong opened the scoring.

“We started on the front foot and things were going very well but the first goal we conceded was a poor one to concede. Some of the players were trying too hard to inflict themselves on the game whilst others lacked composure.

“The penalty we gave away for their second goal was just crazy - we should never have been in that position. To have conceded two was bad enough but for us to go and concede four is just crazy. It was an awful journey home last night.”

In the days leading up to Friday’s game it was reported that Kenny would use Friday’s cup clash to give some of the first team players on the fringes of the starting XI a chance to prove their worth. David McDaid came in at forward for Eamon Zayed while Michael McCrudden replaced Gareth McGlynn on the right wing and Stephen McLaughlin availed of the decision to rest Patrick McEleney.

“I wanted to use the game as an opportunity to give some of the other players a chance. James McClean is suspended for next week’s game against St. Patrick’s Athletic and Gareth McGlynn and Eamon Zayed are on three yellow cards - I wanted the other players to have a go for a change. I hoped that if we had have won the game the players could use it as a positive experience and that would in turn benefit the rest of the squad for the rest of the season - sadly it didn’t work and I am extremely annoyed at the final result.”

He added: “Kevin Deery returned against Galway earlier in the week and I decided that it was too risky to let him play in another game so close to just returning from his calf injury. I suppose with the benefit of hindsight he could have started but, like I said, it would have been very risky.”

Although Friday’s result was a massive disappointment to everyone involved with the club they must start looking towards next we,ek’s league clash with St. Patrick’s Athletic at Richmond Park.

“Friday’s cup result was a bad result, there’s no getting away from it but there’s nothing we can do about it now,” said Kenny. “We have to pick ourselves up, dust ourselves down because the next few weeks are going to be vital and we will have to be at our best.”