Derry City 0-1 Cork City

�/Lorcan Doherty Photography - May 25TH 2012. ''FAI Ford Cup Round 2. Derry City V Finn Harps.''Photo Credit Lorcan Doherty Photography
�/Lorcan Doherty Photography - May 25TH 2012. ''FAI Ford Cup Round 2. Derry City V Finn Harps.''Photo Credit Lorcan Doherty Photography

Derry City lost 1-0 to Cork City at the Brandywell on Friday night.

To add insult to injury, the Candy Stripes finished the game with 10 men centre-back Ryan McBride was shown a straight red card for a second half injury time challenge on Garry Buckley.

The Rebels created several goal-scoring opportunities in the first half hour of the first half but Derry finished the opening period as the stronger team.

Patrick McEleney ducked and dived challenges from the Cork defence in the 37th minute to fire powerful shot from outside the box. McEleney’s shot was well placed as McNulty reacted brilliantly to tip the ball around the post.

Danny Murphy cleared the ball off the line for Cork City in the 37th minute when David McDaid directed the ball towards goal. The chance arose after fantastic work by full-back Simon Madden on the right but somehow Murphy made a last ditch clearance to deny the Derry forward a goal.

A Patrick McEleney free-kick was deflected in the 40th minute but sadly for the Candy Stripes it fell straight into the hands of McNulty.

Derry continued their assault on the Cork defence in the second half.

Simon Madden was Derry’s most creative player on the night and his relentless runs up and down the right side resulted in chance after chance for the Foylesiders but they failed to score. Bodies in the box, clearances off the line and shots wide of the post; it just wasn’t to be Derry’s night.

Derry captain, Barry Molloy, went close with a 20 yard drive in the 50th minute but his shot was saved by McNulty.

Cork struck the killer blow in the 67th minute when a Danny Murphy corner was floated to the back post and headed back across the face of goal by Kevin Murray; Buckley needed on the slightest of touches with his head to guide the ball into the net.

Derry tried in earnest to find an equaliser and their desperation became apparent in injury time when ‘keeper Gerard Doherty went up into the Cork box for a corner.

Derry huffed and puffed but couldn’t find a goal and manager Declan Devine’s headache was compounded further with the departure of McBride towards the end.

Friday’s defeat means that Derry continue to reside in fifth place in the Airtricity Premier Division; 10 points behind fourth place Shamrock Rovers and two points ahead of sixth place Cork City.

Next up for Derry City is Drogheda United at Hunky Dory’s Park on Monday September 10, kick-off 7.45pm.

Derry City: (4-4-2) Gerard Doherty; Simon Madden, Dermot McCaffrey, Shane McEleney, Ryan McBride; Ruaidhri Higgins, Barry Molloy, Stephen McLaughlin, Patrick McEleney (Marc Brolly 90 mins); David McDaid, Conor Murphy (Mark Farren 67 mins).

Subs not used: Eugene Ferry; Ryan Curran; Barry McNamee; Coimhin Bonner; Michael Duffy.

Cork City: (4-1-4-1) Mark McNulty; Ian Turner (Stephen Kenny 90 mins), Danny Murphy, Gavin Kavanagh, Gearoid Morrissey; Shane Duggan, Davin O’Neill (Keith Quinn 82 mins), Vinny Sullivan (Kegan Parker 62 mins), Kalen Spillane; Kevin Murray, Garry Buckley.

Subs not used: Danny Morrissey; Andy O’Connell; Kevin Burns; Graham McCarthy.

REFEREE: Mr. Paul McLaughlin (Monaghan).