Derry City 0-1 Shamrock Rovers

Derry manager Declan Devine. Photo: Lorcan Doherty Photography
Derry manager Declan Devine. Photo: Lorcan Doherty Photography

Derry City slumped to their fourth consecutive home defeat when they lost 1-0 to Shamrock Rovers at the Brandywell on Friday evening.

Ronan Finn broke the deadlock in the second half with a stunning drive from outside the box. Finn’s strike was to be the deciding goal.

Rovers could have so easily been reduced to ten men in the first half when Craig Sives appeared to bring down David McDaid.

McDaid was clear of the Rovers defence and as Sives scrambled back he appeared to pull the striker back. Sives was shown a yellow card but had it been red there could have been very little argument.

Derry created half chances towards the end of the first half and they failed to create any clear-cut goal scoring opportunities for most of the second.

Rovers took the lead in the 54th minute through Finn and instead of pushing on and trying to grab a second the Dubliners sat back and soaked up what Derry had to throw at them.

Derry piled on the pressure towards the end and the Brandywell faithful thought they had secured a point in injury time when defender Ryan McBride connected with a Dermot McCaffrey corner. McBride arrived at the back post with a powerful header but despite the fact he was only yards from goal he somehow managed to put his effort wide.

Friday’s game was the first win in seven matches for Stephen Kenny’s team. With supporters actively seeking his removal, Friday’s win will have certainly relieved some of the pressure on the under fire manager.

For full reaction to Derry’s defeat to Shamrocks Rovers see tomorrow’s Sunday Journal.

DERRY CITY: Gerard Doherty; Dermot McCaffrey, Simon Madden, Shane McEleney, Ryan McBride; Ruaidhri Higgins (Mark Farren 73 mins), Barry Molloy, Stephen McLaughlin, Owen Morrison; Patrick McEleney (Barry McNamee 33 mins, Eddie McCallion 88 mins), David McDaid.

Subs not used: Eugene Ferry, Michael Duffy, Matthew Rooney.

SHAMROCK ROVERS: Oskar Jannson; Conor Powell, Craig Sives, Stephen Rice, Gary McCabe (Conor McCormack 75 mins); Gary Twigg (Ciaran Kilduff 79 mins), Daryl Kavanagh (Killian Brennan 60 mins), Chris Turner, Ronan Finn; Colin Hawkins, Pat Sullivan.

Subs not used: Kerrea Gilbert; Gary O’Neill, Lorcan Shannon, Reynard Pieterse.

REFEREE: Mr. Derek Tomney (Dublin).