DERRY CITY: City slump to fifth home defeat of season

Derry City's Barry McNamee with James Chambers of St Patrick's Athletic in action during Friday night's match at the Brandywell, Derry. Picture: Margaret McLaughlin.
Derry City's Barry McNamee with James Chambers of St Patrick's Athletic in action during Friday night's match at the Brandywell, Derry. Picture: Margaret McLaughlin.

Derry City 0, St Pat’s Athletic 3

DERRY CITY slumped to a fifth home loss and their heaviest defeat at Brandywell so far this season as St Patrick’s Athletic ran out comfortable victors on Foyleside tonight.

The Candy Stripes have now gone six league matches without victory, their last league win dating back to April 28th and a 2-0 away win over Limerick.

And with away trips to Tallaght Stadium this Monday night quickly followed by a trip to Drogheda United who leap-frogged City into eighth place after tonight’s results, it certainly doesn’t get any easier for Hutton’s troops.

A first half strike from Aaron Greene and second half goals from James Chambers and Chris Forrester ensured the win for the Saints who returned to winning ways in the league.

Derry had enjoyed the best of the opening exchanges and just 20 seconds after kick-off St Pat’s survived a penalty appeal after Patrick McEleney went to ground under the challenge of Jason McGuinness.

Brendan Clarke then needed to be alert to parry away Josh Daniels’ left footed strike at the near post on 13 minutes after a promising run from the Derry youngster.

The Saints were almost caught on the break on 20 minutes after Patrick McEleney played a beautifully disguised reverse pass into Philip Lowry. With Daniels free in support on the left wing, Lowry opted instead to play Cillian Morrison into play and he blasted his shot over the crossbar.

It was a glorious chance lost and St Pat’s came so close to making their hosts pay 60 seconds later. James Chambers crossed dangerously into the six yard and Dean Jarvis’ attempted clearance came off his heel forced Doherty to make a point blank save.

The visitors did find a way past Doherty five minutes later when the ball fortuitously deflected into the path of Greene and his 20 yard strike found the far corner of the net.

And the Saints should really have doubled their lead just before the break when Killian Brennan found himself clean through on goal but his right footed shot just inside the 18 yard area was saved superbly by the out-stretched Derry keeper.

Ten minutes after the restart and St Pat’s added a second as Chambers’ low free-kick curled into the far corner of the net from 20 yards.

Derry were all at sea after that and St Pat’s came so close to a third as Christy Fagan turned past Shaun Kelly before driving his shot into the side netting.

Lowry did well to create a chance at the other end when he flicked the ball over the head of a Pat’s defender, but the ball couldn’t come down quickly enough and his volley on the right foot from six yards went harmlessly over.

And Forrester sealed the win deep into stoppage time when lifting the ball over Doherty from close range after dribbling his way through the heart of the Derry defence.

Derry City: G. Doherty: S. Kelly (C. Harkin 84), S. McEleney, A. Barry, D. Jarvis; J. Daniels, P. Lowry, B. McNamee, P. McEleney (G. Kelly 77), R. Curran; C. Morrison (R. Curtis 69); Subs Not Used - S. Patton, A. Elding, N. Boyle, S. Sharkey.

St Pat’s: B. Clarke; G. O’Brien (S. Hoare 61), J. McGuinness, L. Desmond, I. Bermingham; A. Greene, K. Brennan, G. Bolger, J. Chambers,C. Forrester C. Fagan (J. McGrath 77); Subs Not Used - C. O’Malley, M. Langley, C. Kilduff, S. Verdon, C. McCormack.

Referee: Derek Tomney.