Patterson sees red as City battle back to draw in Dalymount

LOI, Derry City v Limerick, 25-10-13'Derry City's Rory Patterson after a miss on goal against Limerick at the Brandywell on Friday night. Picture Margaret McLaughlin � by-line
LOI, Derry City v Limerick, 25-10-13'Derry City's Rory Patterson after a miss on goal against Limerick at the Brandywell on Friday night. Picture Margaret McLaughlin � by-line

Bohemians 1

Derry City 1

Patrick McEleney scored a stunning goal to secure a share of the spoils against Bohemians at Dalymount Park as Derry City’s sluggish start to the campaign continued with a fourth consecutive draw.

Fast becoming the league’s draw specialists, Derry got off to the worst possible start as Jason Byrne - who was a handful for the visiting defence throughout - put Bohs ahead on four minutes when he steered the ball past Gerard Doherty from close range.

The ‘Candy Stripes’ were clearly rocked by that rampant start from the home side but they got back on level terms five minutes before the break through that magnificent Patrick McEleney strike.

The midfielder, who missed a penalty against UCD last Friday night, curled a wonderful strike into the top corner for a goal reminiscent of his last wonder strike at the Dublin venue last season,

However, City were reduced to 10 men two minutes later as match referee, Anthony Buttimer sent Patterson off for an early shower for what appeared to be a high challenge on David Mulcahy on the halfway line.

Bohemains then found themselves down to 10 men when Dinny Corcoran was shown a straight red for an off the ball incident and the game began to peter out as Bohs remain without a win at home.

Bohemains really should have been out of sight in the first half therefore Roddy Collins will be happy with the 1-1 result.

Patterson and Ryan McBride had returned to the squad bolster the ‘Candy Stripes’ against a Bohs side without a win at Dalymount this season.

It was a quick-fire start from the home side and Derry were fortunate not to concede as early as the second minute.

Karl Moore chased a long punt forward and got in behind Roddy Collins Jr. before crossing first time towards Byrne whose close range shot was saved well by the feet of Doherty.

The warning signs were there and City fell behind two minutes later when Moore once again got the better of Collins before crossing to Byrne in the six yard area. And the bustling striker poked the ball beyond the reach of Doherty into the corner.

Former ‘Candy Stripe’, Paddy Kavanagh then tried his luck from the edge of the are but his curling strike was tipped behind by Doherty.

City were living dangerously and from a corner kick one minute later Aidan Price was gifted a free header but, fortunately for the visitors, he knew little about it and it bounced off the top of his head and the danger was averted.

Derry’s first attempt on goal arrived on 17 minutes when McEleney beat his man before lobbing towards goal but it was comfortably dealt with by Lee Murphy.

Derry were much more composed in possession as the half progressed and McEleney did well to find Patterson at the near post on 25 minutes but the striker steered his effort just wide.

Bohemians came so close to doubling their advantage just before the half hour mark

Corcoran laid the ball off to Byrne 12 yards from goal and the striker’s shot across goal seemed destined for the far corner but went narrowly wide with Doherty stranded on his line.

Patterson managed to bear down on goal after getting beyond Price but dragged his shot safely into the hands of Murphy.

Doherty then produced a superb, point blank save as Byrne met Kavanagh’s corner with a strong header.

Then came that moment of magic from McEleney as his sweetly struck shot from the edge of the area nestled into the far corner. It was a stunning effort.

The visiting support didn’t have too long to enjoy those celebrations as Patterson was shown a straight red card for what appeared a high challenge on Mulcahy.Match official Mr Buttimer isn’t a favourite among Derry City fans but Patterson’s foot certainly was high and the referee made no hesitation when flashing the red card.

As it was Derry were somewhat fortunate to go in at the break on level terms.but they faced a tough test in the second half with just 10 men.

Roddy Collins was forced to reshuffle his pack at the break and Enda Curran moved from his central midfield position into a much more advanced role as City’s lone striker while former West Ham United man, Eoin Wearen came on to replace Aiden Price for Bohs.

The lively Moore was causing the Derry defence all sorts of problems from the outset and he got in behind Danny Ventre at the right corner flag 10 minutes after the restart before firing a dangerous ball across the face of goal but Byrne couldn’t get that vital touch.

Bohemians were then reduced to 10 men on 58 minutes as the referee’s assistant spotted an off the ball incident involving Corcoran and City skipper Cliff Byrne. The Bohs’ man appeared to kick out at the Derry skipper but the incident didn’t escape the attentions of the assistant referee and after consulting with Mr Buttimer, Corcoran was sent for an early shower.

Byrne tested Doherty’s reflexes from 30 yards with a shot on the half volley and the Derry keeper palmed it to safety but after that neither side really took the game by the scruff of the neck.

Bohemians: Lee Murphy: Derek Pender, Roberto Lopes, David Mulcahy, Steven Beattie; Karl Moore (Kevin Devaney 74), Dinny Corcoran, Aidan Price (Eoin Wearen H-T), Ryan McEvoy, Paddy Kavanagh; Jason Byrne; Subs Not Used - Dean Delaney, Stephen Traynor, Jake Hyland, Darragh Reynor, Keith Buckley.

Derry City: Gerard Doherty; Roddy Collins, Cliff Byerne, Ryan McBride, Aaron Barry; J.P. McGovern, Danny Ventre, Patrick McEleney (R. Foy 82), Enda Curran (Mark Stewart 75), Michael Duffy (Ryan Curran 60); Rory Patterson; Subs Not Used - Dean Jarvis, Nathan Boyle, Ciaran Gallagher, Tony McNamee.

Referee - Anthony Buttimer (Cork).