Solid display as Derry fire three past Dergview at Brandywell

editorial image

Derry City 3

Dergview FC 2

DERRY CITY’S preparations for the 2011 League of Ireland season continued when they beat Irish League minnows Dergview FC 3-2 at the Brandywell on Friday evening.

Derry youngster Patrick McEleney scored the opening goal at the beginning of the first half before new signing Stewart Greacen added a second with a powerful header before half time. McEleney snatched a third for the Candy Stripes in the second half with a well placed drive from outside the Dergview penalty area.

Although Derry looked to be in full control throughout, Dergview striker Ryan Campbell scored an impressive solo effort and a penalty in the second half.

After putting six past Loughall FC in midweek, manager Stephen Kenny used Friday’s game as an opportunity to give new signing Stewart Greacen more match experience. The towering Scot lasted the full 90 minutes and looked solid throughout. Speaking to The Sunday Journal after the game he said that he was happy to get a goal but was taking nothing for granted.

“It’s been a long week,” said the 28-year-old defender. “I think I am settling in fine and it’s always good to get another 90 minutes under my belt. I haven’t played much football this season so I think I still have plenty of sharpness and fitness still to come.”

Greacen is a former Forfar Athletic player and only signed for Derry at the beginning of the week. Although he admitted that his fitness level still needs work he said that he can’t wait for the new season to start against Sligo Rovers at the Brandywell next month.

“I was glad to get a goal but for me, the most important thing was playing the entire game. The new season is not far away and I am determined to be fit and ready when it starts. I have plenty of training under my belt this season but it’s playing in games that I’ve missed. There are another few games before the new season starts so hopefully I can brush up and get myself in the right frame of mind for when the new campaign starts against Sligo Rovers here next month.”

Greacen rarely put a foot wrong throughout the game and will most certainly add power and strength to the Derry defence. He said that he thought that the opposition on the night had played well and claimed that it was games such as the Dergview fixture that paved the way for good preseason preparation.

“I thought they [Dergview FC] played ok,” said Greacen. “The weather was pretty bad tonight but Dergview gave us a bit of a game. I suppose it’s a bit of an occasion for them to come and play Derry City at the Brandywell and they didn’t disappoint, they really tried hard and played some decent football. I thought that they made things tough for us and to be honest that’s what you want when you play preseason friendlies; you want the opposition to give you a game.

Derry took the lead in the ninth minute when Patrick McEleney converted a free-kick from inside the Dergview area. Dergview goalkeeper Christopher Snow lifted the ball after it was passed to him by a team-mate and referee Christopher Snow was left with no option but to award Derry a free-kick because of the back-pass. McEleney blasted the ball past several Dergview players from approximately eight yards from goal.

New Derry signing Sean McCarron nearly added a second in the 13th minute when he dispossessed Snow just inside the penalty area. The Derry man did well to emerge with the ball but his shot was fired wide of the post.

Stewart Greacen scored his first ever Derry goal in the 22nd minute when he powered a Ruaidhri Higgins corner past Snow.

Former Institute FC player, Ryan Campbell, scored an impressive goal in the 49th minute when he took advantage of a loose ball to race clear of the Derry defence. Campbell was perhaps the Tyrone team’s best player on the night and he made no mistake when he blasted the ball past Ferry in the Derry net.

McEleney got his second and Derry’s third in the 57th minute when he fired the ball past Snow from outside the penalty area.

Campbell snatched a consolation goal for the visitors when he converted a penalty in the 80th minute.

DERRY CITY: (4-4-2) - Eugene Ferry; Eddie McCallion, Emmett Friars (Ryan McBride 80 mins), Shane McEleney (Daniel Lafferty ht), Stewart Greacen; Ruairi Harkin (Thomas McBride 62 mins), Ruaidhri Higgins, Gareth McGlynn, Stephen McLaughlin (Michael McCrudden 62 mins); Sean McCarron (David McDaid ht), Patrick McEleney.

Subs not used: Sean O’Donnell.

DERGVIEW FC: (4-4-2) - Christopher Snow; Liam McMenamin, John Carlin, Colin Robinson, Garby Gallagher; Blaine Burns, Aaron Arkinson, Aaron Walsh, Warner Mullen; Ryan Campbell, Johnny Lafferty.

Subs not used: Stefan McCusker.

REFEREE: Mr. Paul Deering (Sligo).