FOOTBALL: Morrow scores winner in thriller

PSNI 2-3 Institute

Saturday, 13th January 2018, 4:01 pm
Updated Monday, 15th January 2018, 8:41 am
Institute striker Gareth Brown scored his second goal in as many games, at Newforge, on Saturday.

Super sub Jake Morrow scored a 93rd minute winner as Institute came from behind to finally see off the nine men of the PSNI.

The encounter at Newforge had everything, with the Waterside men in the end deservedly claiming the three points in fortunate circumstances, as Morrow’s cross-cum-shot sailed over PSNI keeper Taylor Kirk.

The home side got off to the perfect start as they raced into a third minute lead in super fashion as striker Lukasz Adamczyk’s 25 yard strike gave ‘Stute keeper Marty Gallagher no chance.

Another flowing move by the home side on 12 minutes ended with Gallagher turning Adamczyk’s close range strike around the post.

Institute levelled things on 24 minutes as Ryan Morrow’s right wing cross found Gareth Brown who powerfully headed home from 10 yards, giving PSNI keeper Kirk no chance.

Moments later PSNI went close but striker Chris Trussell saw his left footed strike well saved by Gallagher.

Brown missed a glorious chance to give the visitors the lead just after the half-hour mark but after breaking the offside trap he blazed over with only Kirk to beat..

Institute did take the lead from the penalty spot on 37 minutes as Adamczyk upended Jamie Dunne inside the box and Michael McCrudden blasted the resulting spot-kick, high into the net.

Right on the stroke of half-time the home side levelled things as Trussell’s header back across goal found Adamczyk, who nodded home his second of the day from close range.

Institute went close to regaining the lead on 53 minutes but Dean Curry’s header from close range was straight at Kirk.

Seven minutes later the home side were rightfully reduced to 10 men as Adamczyk was shown a second yellow card followed by a red after a late challenge on Morrow.

Soon after Niall Grace got in behind the PSNI defence down the left, but with team-mates inside of him, the midfielder went for goal himself, but Kirk did well to tip the effort around the post.

The Belfast men were incredibly reduced to nine men on 74 minutes as centre-back Philip Simpson was shown a straight red card after a late lunge on Mark Scoltock.

As the nine men continued to battle hard with Kirk in particular making a host of late saves to deny Brown and McCrudden, the visitors were still not to be denied.

Deep into stoppage time on the counter attack Morrow saw his curling effort from the right hand side of the box, sail over Kirk and fall into the net, to spark wild celebrations.

PSNI: Kirk, Douglas (Campbell 63), Montgomery, Simpson, McGray, McNeill, Coutney (Waide 66), Berry, Trussell, Malone (McDowell 71), Adamczyk.

Institute: Gallagher, Morrow, Bonner, Scoltock (Mullen 81), Curry; Grace, Jarvis, Wilson (Morrow 71); McCrudden, Brown, Dunne (McCarron 58).

Referee: Mr B McMaster.