History for United on home soil!

Newbuildings Stephen Wallace keeps his feet as his Dunmurray opponent goes to ground during their Irish Cup game.  (1701JB81)
Newbuildings Stephen Wallace keeps his feet as his Dunmurray opponent goes to ground during their Irish Cup game. (1701JB81)

WELSEY ROBINSON’S Newbuildings United side broke new ground on Saturday afternoon when they comfortably defeated Dunmurry Rec. to book their place in the last 16 of the JJB Sports Irish Cup.

LEE DOHERTY was in Newbuildings

Photographs: JOE BOLAND

And while a trip to either Coagh United or Loughgall would not have been the reward they had been seeking, the Intermediate league side remains in the competition on merit.

The Newbuildings boss paid tribute to a very vocal home support which helped them past a determined Belfast outfit.

“Only four games from Europe,” was the chant at the final whistle and while very few believe they can achieve that goal, Robinson was delighted that his players had applied themselves on Saturday and progressed in the competition.

“It was a brilliant performance, especially in the second half. The key was switching David Scanlon from central midfield to centre forward, that was the difference as their defence couldn’t deal with him,” he insisted.

“We were the only team creating chances, they only troubled us from set plays and I felt the boys did really well. It was similar in some ways to our previous game against Armagh City when they caused us problems from corners and free kicks.

“When we got the second goal, I felt the game was over and they were then reduced to 10 men. After that we added two other goals, but I felt we were a wee bit fortunate to score them as our boys got nervous as they were breaking ground they’d never been to before,” he added.

Newbuildings hopes of a big tie in the sixth round didn’t materialise and they were disappointed not to have got a money-spinning tie. The trip to either Coagh or Loughgall not what they would have been hoping for.

Both sides opened the game nervously and Newbuildings were almost caught at the back when Graham Moore needlessly tried a back flick, but although Paul Redpath intercepted the ball, he failed to make anything of the chance and Moore was able to breathe a sigh of relief.

Throughout the opening stages, Newbuildings had more of the possession withoutcreating any chances, while Dunmurry were always dangerous on their less frequent forays forward, with Stephen Barrett and Gary Hewitt wasting opportunities.

Newbuildings should have broken the deadlock on 29 minutes when Stephen Curry crossed for Gareth Falconer to head inches wide with Dunmurry goalkeeper Philip Warnock stranded on his goalline.

But a minute later Falconer made no mistake. Again Curry was instrumental in the build-up, dispossessing Gareth Bond before finding his strike partner who shot across Warnock and into the corner of the net.

Dunmurry fought back from the re-start and dominated the game for a period, but despite creating some decent chances, failed to convert as a nervy Newbuildings defence held firm.

And on the stroke of half-time, the home side should have doubled their lead. Falconer was again the man at the centre of the action when his shot across the Dunmurry goal rebounded off the post and hit the inrushing Curry on the shin before bouncing just wide of the post.

Ricky Lee Dougherty was the dominant figure at the beginning of the second half when he probed regularly without success, but the switch of David Scanlon to a more offensive position began to reap rewards and it was no surprise when Newbuildings did eventually double their advantage.

Newbuildings won a free-kick 25 yards from goal and Dougherty’s effort was parried out by Warnock in the Dunmurry goal with Scanlon first to react to nudge the ball home.

Dunmurry lost their way for a few moments after this and it cost them dearly as Colin Beggs received a second yellow card for a foul on Falconer and the visitors hopes of getting back into the game were dealt a fatal blow reduced to ten men.

Within five minutes it was 3-0, Curry finding Scanlon to once again beat Warnock and Newbuilidings sealed their passage to the fourth round with a fourth goal 12 minutes from time. Again Dougherty was at the heart of the action, his free kick not cleared and Graham Moore finding the net with the loose ball.

Dunmurry did battle to the end and they got some consolation when Glenn Hand drilled home a shot from 25 yards, but it was too little too late as Newbuildings progressed.

NEWBUILDINGS UNITED – Conor Thornton, Graham Moore, Kenneth King, Peter Blair, Stephen Wallace, David Scanlon, Brian Scanlon, Paul McIvor, Ricky Lee Dougherty, Stephen Curry and Gareth Falconer. Subs. Lewis Nicholl for Wallace (64 mins), Matthew Smyth and Nathan Robinson for Dougherty and D. Scanlon (79 mins); Mark Olphert and Ryan McCloskey (not used).

DUNMURRY REC – Philip Warnock, Simon Fenton, Gareth Bond, Colin Beggs, Keith Robinson, Michael Hughes, Stephen Barrett, Gary Hewitt, Paul Redpath, Glenn Hand, Patrick Rooney. Subs. Christopher Lambe for Barrett (67 mins); Owen Dowds for Hughes (67 mins); and Tony Chivers for Bond (75 mins).

REFEREE – Mr. Wesley Campbell (Augher).