Institute into next round after overcoming Loughgall

Paul Kee
Paul Kee


Institute cruised into the sixth round of the Irish Cup as they blew away Championship outfit Loughgall at the Riverside Stadium.

The Drumahoe men had to come from behind, however, after Stephen Ferguson gave Loughgall a surprise lead after just 12 minutes.

Darren McFadden celebrated his return to the club with the equalising goal just before half-time.

And there was only one side in the game in the second half, the home lot netting three times in the space of eight second half minutes - one from Stephen Curry and a double from Dwayne McManus - to end the challenge of the visitors.

Aaron Walsh then added a disputed fifth late in the second half, the midfielder appearing to be in an offside position.

Loughgall goalkeeper,Garth Buchanan was shown a straight red card for dissent following that controversial fifth goal as the Co. Armagh men’s evening went from bad to worse.

It had started so well for Loughgall after breaking the deadlock after just 12 minutes when former ‘Stute striker, Warner Mullan whipped in a dangerous cross and Ferguson reacted quickest, clinically steering his shot beyond the keeper.

Two minutes later and Loughgall almost took advantage of some sloppy ‘Stute defending but goalkeeper, Marty Gallagher got a strong hand to Wes Boyle’s shot and tipped it over.

‘Stute reacted on 15 minutes and Robbie Hume was unfortunate not to equalise when he got on the end of McFadden’s flick but his goalbound shot was deflected narrowly wide.

The home side did get back on terms shortly on 27 minutes and the move began when Bradley rose superbly to win a header which sent Hume scampering clear.

The ‘Stute striker skipped past his marker with ease before squaring to McFadden who blasted into the net.

Straight up the other end and Aaron Patterson’s powerful low strike from outside the penalty area was palmed away by Gallagher at full stretch.

Six minutes into the second half and ‘Stute got their noses in front for the first time following some terrific work inside his own half by Hume.

The striker broke away from his marker, spread the play to McFadden who found Stephen Curry and the midfielder drilled his shot into the far corner.

Institute immediately went in search of another and it arrived three minutes later when McManus’ deflected shot from the edge of the area wrong-footed the keeper and it trickled in at the near post.

And on the hour mark McFadden was brought crashing down inside the Loughgall area by keeper, Buchanan and referee, Ian McNabb pointed to the spot.

Up stepped McManus who blasted into the roof of the net for ‘Stute’s third goal inside eight minutes.

Hume hit the crossbar with a header at the back post before Walsh added a fifth on 73 minutes when he found himself free inside the area and he had time to place his shot into the net.

The Loughgall players claimed the midfielder was in an offside position when he received the ball in an offside position and goalkeeper Buchanan was shown a straight red for dissent to end a miserable day for Loughgall.

On to the sixth round draw for ‘Stute.

Institute: Martin Gallagher; Graham Crown, Paddy McLaughlin, Peter Bradley; Stephen O’Donnell, Mark Forker (Declan McKeever 76), Dwayne McManus (Matty Young 70), Aaron Walsh, Stephen Curry; Darren McFadden Cormac Burke 80), Robbie Hume; Subs Not Used - Eugene Ferry, Dean Curry.

Loughgall: Garth Buchanan; Mark Carson, Ricky Copland, Mark Stewart, Ross Black (Glen Clarke 70); Stephen Ferguson, Matty Reynolds, Marcus Dallas, Aaron Patterson (Nathaniel Ferry 61); Wesley Boyle, Warner Mullan; Subs Not Used - Steven Montgomery.

Referee: Ian McNabb