Magee students clinch SML top flight promotion

MAGEE UNIVERSITY clinched promotion to the Saturday Morning League Premier Division following an emphatic victory over Tamnaherin Celtic in the Championship play-off.

The O’Bryan Cup champions were presented with the opening chance of the contest when Ciaran Stephenson found himself in space ten yards from goal, however, when the Magee man mis-cued his shot the ball fell to Danny Doherty who dragged his effort wide of the target.

Magee eventually took the lead when Mark Nicell beat the offside trap and ran clear of the defence, and while the keeper managed to block his first effort, he made no mistake at the second attempt. Tamnaherin had a great chance to get back into the game on 20 minutes when Brian Duffy, with just the keeper to beat, pulled his shot wide.

Two minutes later Carl O’Kane was clean through on goal but his poor effort was gathered cleanly by the keeper. Magee doubled their lead on the half hour mark when Joe McCready ran at the Tamnaherin defence and his pace took him one-on-one with the keeper and he fired his shot across the keeper and into the bottom corner.

Carl O’Kane had another good chance for Tamnaherin but he fired straight at the keeper when well placed.

Magee started the second half well and they were awarded a dubious penalty in the 50th minute when Joe McCready went down inside the penalty area and referee, Damien Stewart pointed to the penalty spot. McCready converting from the spot to give his side a 3-0 lead.

Five minutes later the game was ended as a contest when McCready waltzed through the Tamnaherin defence and rounded the keeper before finding the net.

Doherty then had another effort which hit the underside of the crossbar but the ball didn’t cross the line and was cleared to safety.

Tamnaherin were now well on top as Magee backed off and on 75 minutes they were awarded a free-kick just outside the penalty area and George Doherty curled the ball around the wall and into the bottom corner to reduce the arrears.

Four minutes later and Tamnaherin were awarded a penalty and Carl O’Kane stepped up and stroked the ball into the bottom corner.

Magee then started to take control and a long punt up the park was headed on by Michael McCready who won a great header and he put in Aaron Nash who rounded the defender and keeper before firing into an empty net.

The University side then sealed the victory as Aaron Nash fired a 60 yard pass into the path of Michael McCready who controlled and sent in a great cross that was met by Paul “Pinta” Quigley who diverted into the net.