McFadden sees red as Institute suffer first defeat of season

Institute striker Tom Carlin sees this shot blocked by Coleraine Reserves goalkeeper Jamie McAllister.
Institute striker Tom Carlin sees this shot blocked by Coleraine Reserves goalkeeper Jamie McAllister.

Institute 0, Coleraine Reserves 1

INSTITUTE manager, Paul Kee will not be overly concerned at exiting this season’s Craig Memorial Cup.

However, the Drumahoe man was furious with the match referee for sending off Darren McFadden during the closing stages of Saturday’s quarter-final defeat to Coleraine Reserves.

In fact, the official, Paddy McFadden sent his nephew for an early shower for dissent - something which has become a familiar occurrence in recent times!

Kee claimed it was the fourth time, Mr McFadden had dismissed the striker and he was particularly annoyed at the manner in which he received his marching orders on Saturday.

Indeed, Kee became embroiled in a heated exchange with the referee at the final whistle as he voiced his frustration at the decision.

The in-form striker - who has netted three times this season already - is now set to miss the club’s League Cup third round tie with Glenavon at Mourneview next Tuesday night - a suspension which doesn’t sit well with his manager.

“I’m disappointed more with the sending off than anything else because Darren will miss the Glenavon match now,” said Kee afterwards.

“It was the nature of the sending off which got me,” he added.

“Darren is complaining about a clip before the incident where he’s got across the defender and the defender has nicked him and the referee hasn’t given it.


“There’s history there because he’s (the referee) sent him off three or four times and when McFadden reacted, he hasn’t taken into consideration the incident but just the verbal that McFadden has given and he’s just reacted and sent him off.

“It’s disappointing and I’m disappointed for Darren. But we have to dust ourselves down and get on with it.”

As for the game itself, it was decided by a Gareth McMullan strike in the 43rd minute and Kee had no complaints about the scoreline as his side failed to produce enough goalscoring opportunities - something which certainly hasn’t been a problem since the start of the season.

Indeed, ‘Stute have been free-scoring of late and went into Saturday’s tie against the ‘Bannsiders’ on the back of a hugely impressive 5-1 home victory over Carrick Rangers.

However, Saturday’s performance from a much changed starting line-up, was bereft of any real attacking prowess.

While disappointed his side failed to progress to the next round, Kee was happy that some of the fringe members of his squad managed to get some game time.

“Coleraine have come and done a number on us,” said Kee. “They had no efforts in the second half but they were well organised and they are a young side full of commitment.

“The whole exercise for us was to get everyone a game and to look at players in a competitive situation when the game is a certain way and that’s what we did.

“We were able to look at half a dozen players who hadn’t played and credit to Coleraine they were organised in fit.

“But we didn’t do enough to win the match,” he declared. “We didn’t have enough creativity. When the chances came in the first half we didn’t take them.

We could have scored four or five in the first half and then they scored right on half-time and in fairness they held on to it.”

Opting to look at the positives from the game, Kee added: “The young boys on the periphery have got a game. “It lets us assess and evaluate what they’ve done and how they’ve done it.

“There were one or two decent performances but there were also one or two who we could have got more from. That’s the nature of football and fair play to Coleraine who won and good luck to them in the next round,”