Oxford Claim D&D Cup ‘Double’

OXFORD United’s Under-13 squad claimed a Derry & District FA Cup ‘double,’ following last Saturday’s comprehensive defeat of Trojans.

The fact that this was a cup final meant that both teams were keen to stamp their authority from early on which saw intense battles taking place all over the pitch.

But both teams tried to play fluent football despite the poor conditions and it was from a fine flowing move that Oxford gained the breakthrough.

Good work down the right by Jon Doherty saw the ball floated deep into the Trojans box where Matty Doherty ghosted in to force the ball home.

Trojans pushed hard for an equaliser but with Odhran McKane and Caoimhin McCallion both in a very determined mood in the heart of Oxford defence, Trojans struggled in the final third.

Five minutes before the break Oxford deservedly doubled their lead with a trademark Ciaran Deeney effort. Having picked up the ball up 20 yards from goal, he turned his marker before firing an unstoppable drive into the bottom corner of the net.

Trojans started the second half the brighter, forcing a series of corners but Oxford held out as keeper, Anthony O’Hagan, was determined to record another clean sheet. Strangely, it was from a Trojans corner which actually fashioned Oxford’s third goal. The ball was cleared out to Deeney and with Trojans having committed men forward, the Oxford striker raced clear top produce a ruthless finish past the helpless Trojans keeper.

That goal saw Trojans heads drop as the Creggan side appeared to struggle. Oxford, however, showed no mercy and continued to press hard in search of further goals. Oxford’s captain, Caolin O’Donnell, continued to pull the strings in midfield and it wasn’t long before Matty Doherty got his second and Oxford’s fourth goal.

Oxford continued to turn up the heat mounting attack after attack and from a corner they made it 5-0, Jake Francis heading home from a Deeney centre.

Next to get on the scoresheet was Seamus Quinn who produced a great first touch and great awareness to outfox his marker, before cooly slotting the ball home.

The rout was completed five minutes from time when Oran McConnell, back after a lengthy injury lay-off, showed a great turn of pace before finishing well.

Unbeaten Run Ends

Dungannon Youth . . . . 3

Oxford United . . . . . 0

Oxford’s Under-16s’ unbeaten run in the National League came to end on Saturday when Dungannon picked up a deserved victory.

However, during the early stages of the game Oxford were well on top with and causing no shortage of problems. In fact, after just two minutes Oxford were awarded a penalty after good work from Jason Sweeney playing in Alex Murphy who was brought down by the Dungannon keeper. However, Shane Brown’s spot kick crashed off the post and a golden opportunity was lost.

Dungannon made Oxford pay soon after when their centre midfielder shot from distance and forced a good parry from Ronan McDevitt but the Oxford defence stood still as the Dungannon striker tapped the ball home.

The home side then took control in the second half doubling their advantage after a poor Oxford clearance.

Oxford came close to getting one back after Connelly Deeney struck the cross bar, but Dungannon counter-attacked and sealed the game with a fine headed effort.

Excellent MCA Victory

Bertie Peacock Youths . . 2

Maiden City Academy . . . 4

The Maiden City Academy’s Under-16 team travelled to Coleraine to play a well organised Bertie Peacocks team on Saturday and returned home with a convincing 4-2 victory.

MCA totally dominated the game from start to finish and why they didn’t end the match as a contest in the first half was astonishing.

Having squandered chance after chance, with Higgins, McDaid, Coyle, McIntyre and Martin all failing to take advantage when well placed in front of goal.

However, totally against the run of play, Peacocks broke the deadlock when their centre-forward capitalised on some sloppy defending to put his side into the driving seat five minutes before the break.

MCA continued to create chances in the second half and it wasn’t long before substitute, Gavan Doherty, brought his side level with a well struck effort from the edge of the box.

Niall Coyle, who was having a great game on the left of midfield, got onto the end of a terrific pass from Martin to put his team 2-1 in front.

Peacocks then equalised when their striker raced through a static defence to smash the ball past Wade.

But MCA immediately bounced back and further goals from Porter and McDaid put them run out 4-2 winners and move into fourth place in the National League Under-16 table.