Park Bar extend lead on the summit to eight points

Trojan's Caolan Cully breaks with the ball at Prehen. (DER1114PG032)
Trojan's Caolan Cully breaks with the ball at Prehen. (DER1114PG032)

Top of the Hill Celtic . . . . . . . . . . 1

Lisahally . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .2

It was the Strathfoyle men who came out on top in this entertaining affair at a blustery Lisnagelvin on Sunday.

Top of the Hill Celtic where caught cold in the opening minutes and Adam Molineux took full advantage when he finished from close range.

Lisahally began to control the game after this set-back and they doubled their lead when a mix-up in the Celtic defence allowed Molineux to nip in for his second leaving his side in control at the break.

The second period began with Top of the Hill Celtic on top and they got back into the game when Neil Harkin scored with a fine volley.

Celtic continued to push forward in search of an equaliser after this and they created numerous clear cut chances none of which they where able to convert.

And they were made to rue those missed opportunities.

Indeed, in the end, it was a well deserved victory and a morale boosting one for Lisahally while Top of the Hill will be frustrated as they watch their title tilt wane.

Culmore Colts . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 4

Crescent . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2

Colts began the game on the front foot and they took a deserved lead when a Colm McCay ‘wonder strike’ from outside the penalty box dipped over the head of the keeper and found the top corner of the net.

The Colts then doubled their lead five minutes later when Donal Dorrian split the Crescent defence with his through pass to Brian Scallon who slotted the ball low past the keeper.

Just as the game looked to be getting away from Crescent, they found themselves with an opportunity to get right back into it when their forward was brought down in the penalty area. Lee Ryan stepped up and composed himself before placing the ball into the bottom left corner to make it 2-1.

What ensued was a hard fought battle between two teams both determined to claim three points and it proved a tense affair which gave the referee plenty to do.

Culmore Colts’ young goalkeeper Dylan Doherty was forced into making a number of outstanding saves to keep his side ahead.

Crescent’s pressure paid off in the 82nd minute when the ball dropped to BJ Harkin in the box and he powered the ball into the back of the net to draw the sides level.

The 2-2 scoreline was short lived, however, as Culmore Colts’ substitute Aidan Harkin got his head to the end of Brian Scallon’s corner in the 85th minute to make it 3-2.

The game was then put to bed in the 90th minute as Colts left back Conor Dunleavy found himself through on goal, calmly lifting the ball over the Crescent keeper and into the back of the net.

Abercorn . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0

Park Bar . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1

Abercorn can count themselves unlucky to have got nothing from this game having struck the post twice in the first half through Ferry and Doran.

Park Bar also came close to taking the lead on two occasions through Paul Moore who struck the post on one occasion and shot wide on the other. In the second half Abercorn pushed hard for the lead which should have come when O’Donnell latched on to a short back header by Brown, however, with the goal at his mercy, he failed to convert.

This seemed to spur Park on and they took the lead in the 70th minute when Brown headed home unchallenged at the back post after good work on the wing by Moore.

The game was in its dying minutes when Liddy found himself one-on-one with a great chance to level matters, however, a last gasp challenge from the Park centre half seemed to distract Liddy and he fired over wildly.