“Roesiders” Rocked at Refereeing Decisions

Share this article

Limavady Utd . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1

Bangor . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2

Limavady may have enjoyed an improved performance under now boss, Neil Mullan, but the slender home defeat by Bangor was not without controversy at The Showgrounds.

The game opened with a major let off for the home side after just two minutes when Bangor’s Colin Nixon somehow missed from just three yards when it appeared easier to score.

But Limavady took full advantage of that failure when breaking the deadlock four minutes later. Jack Heaney’s cross into the danger area saw Bangor keeper, Cairnduff, come to intercept but he slipped giving Blaine Morrison the simple task of tapping home.

But the “Roesiders” really should have doubled their advantage on 12 minutes when McIvor and Friel linked well for the latter to be sent through on goal only to be tackled as he was about to ‘pull the trigger.’

Bangor equalised in the 24th minute when a corner from the right was met by Cooling who casually hooked the ball over his shoulder and into the net.

The winning goal arrived in the 64th minute when referee, Eddie Ferguson, pointed to the penalty spot, claiming that Ryan Mullan had “handled” inside the area. Up stepped Cooling who calmly drove the spotkick into the corner of the net and Limavady were under pressure.

Incensed at the decision, Limavady’s sense of grievance was heightened five minute’s later when a fine move ended with Morrison tapping the ball into the net from another excellent McIvor cross only for the forward to be ajudged to have been in an offside position.

And the home side’s frustration boiled over during the latter stages. Pushin forward into the Bangor penalty area, Mr. Ferguson sounded his whistle for full-time just as Friel was about to shoot at the target. Irate players crowded around the official and in the course of their exchange of views, something was said which resulted in a red card for Friel.

Limavady Utd. - McGraw, A. Mullan, McClelland (McFadden, 87), R. Mullan, McGregor, Harkin, Heaney, Logue, Morrison, Friel, McIvor.

Referee - Mr. Eddie Ferguson (Coleraine).