Top of the Hill Celtic climb back into second spot

Campbell's Keith Patton jumps high to come away with possession despite the sliding tackle from Trojans midfielder Tony Deery on Sunday. DER4115MC078
Campbell's Keith Patton jumps high to come away with possession despite the sliding tackle from Trojans midfielder Tony Deery on Sunday. DER4115MC078

Brandywell Harps . . . . . . . . . . .3

Culmore . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0

Brandywell Harps got back to winning ways with a comprehensive win against a good Culmore side at Prehen.

Harps came out of the blocks intent on playing at a fast pace and began to assert themselves in the game with Melly, McKinney and McBride dominating the midfield.

After 20 minutes Harps went ahead. Following a corner McBride drove the ball to the net only for the Culmore keeper to parry straight into Paul “Trot” Kelly’s path and he tapped home from two yards.

Harps should have added to their tally before half-time but were denied by good saves from the Culmore goalkeeper.

The second half started the way the first had ended with Harps on the attack and after 50 minutes Paul Doherty slid a delightful ball through to Kristian Deery who made no mistake from 18 yards as he drove it into the bottom corner.

Harps killed the game off five minutes later as Conor McCourt chased down a backpass to the Culmore keeper. He pulled McCourt down and referee, Colly McDaid pointed to the spot. McCourt dusted himself down and sent the keeper the wrong way with the resulting penalty.

Harps had further chances to add to the score but poor finishing and good goalkeeping kept the score at 3-0.

Prehen . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0

Don Bosco’s . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 7

Bosco’s took an early lead through Paul Moore and Arnie Doherty added a second as he chipped the keeper.

Paul Moore grabbed a second before the break to make it 3-0 and just before the half-time whistle Bosco’s were awarded a penalty and Moore finished into the top corner to complete his hat-trick.

The game was well beyond Prehen at this stage and although they improved in the second half, Bosco’s had more experience and fresh legs from the bench made it difficult for Prehen to get back into the match.

Doherty scored three more goals in the second half to bring his tally to four and the game finished an emphatic 7-0.

Top of the Hill Celtic . . . . . . . . . .3

Tristar . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0

Celtic kept up the pressure on Park Bar with this straight forward win against a young Tristar team.

It was Tristar who started brightest though and they applied some early pressure on the Celtic backline only to find netminder McGilloway in solid form.

The home side took the lead in bizzare fashion when Colin Murray scored directly from a corner.

The champions then doubled their lead on the stroke of half-time when Jay Blackburn scored at the back post.

The second period was a pretty dull affair as Celtic went into cruise control.

They scored again, however, when a shocking back pass by Chris McGarrigle was intercepted by Colin Murray who made no mistake from close range to ensure maximum points for the Waterside men.

Trojans . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .0

Campbell’s . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1

Trojans will have left the Brandywell Stadium wondering just how they managed to lose this game.

They dominated the match from start to finish but failed to convert their chances.

The first half was a prime example as Trojans penned Campbells into their own half for long periods but shots from Paul Smith, Niall Grace and Ryan Harkin all missed the target.

The closest they came was from a Niall Grace header which was turned over the bar by Campbell’s keeper McConway.

Campbells didn’t actually manage a shot on target in the first half.

The second period was following a similar pattern until out of the blue Campbell’s nicked a goal.

Trojans lost possession in midfield and the ball was punted forward between the Trojans central defenders and Tomas McCrossan stretched out a boot to divert the ball over the keeper and into the net.

Campbell’s now had something to hang onto and they defended as if their lives depended on it.

Trojans’ best opportunity fell to Ryan Harkin who found himself free on the six yard line but he screwed his shot wide when he really should have scored.

Campbell’s could have rubbed salt into the wounds in the last minute when Neil Harkin weaved his way passed a couple of poor challenges before seeing his shot come back off the post.

And Campbells saw out the remaining few minutes to claim the points.