Trojans book place in McAlinden Cup Final

Dery City's Aiden McCauley gets his foot to the ball as Trojan's Mark McEleney attempts a cross during thier McAlinden Cup semi final at St Columb's Park.  (1405JB66)
Dery City's Aiden McCauley gets his foot to the ball as Trojan's Mark McEleney attempts a cross during thier McAlinden Cup semi final at St Columb's Park. (1405JB66)

TROJANS’ outstanding campaign continued on Sunday as the Creggan club qualified for the 2013 McAlinden Cup Final after a dramatic penalty shootout victory over Derry City.

Elsewhere in the competition, Abercorn progressed to the semi-finals where they will meet Premier Division champions, Park Bar after another penalty shootout win against Campbell’s Bar.

The Top of the Hill Celtic clash with Oxford Stars was called off at Prehen due to a waterlogged pitch. This fixture has been rescheduled for this Thursday night at Prehen No. 3.

Results - McAlinden Cup quarter-final - Abercorn 3, Campbell’s 3 (Abercorn won on penalties); Semi-final - Derry City 1, Trojans 1 (Trojans won on penalties); Poundsworth Top Four Trophy semi-final - Top of the Hill Celtic v Oxford United Stars.

The following teams have informed the Derry & District F.A. Committee that they will not be taking part next season - Strand United, George’s Bar and The Bentley while A.O.H. Harps are currently considering their position.

Poundsworth Top Four Cup semi-finals

(Thursday, 6.30 p.m.)

Trojans v Park Bar

Trojans are bidding for their third cup final place of the season. Paul Higgins has a few injury problems and may have to draft in players to take on league champions, Park Bar in what promises to be an excellent cup tie.

Park Bar have lost once to the Creggan men this season so manager, Colm Cassidy knows they will have to be at their best if they are to come through this encounter. They certainly have the firepower up front to cause problems.

Park Bar to win a close game.

Top of the Hill Celtic v

Oxford United Stars

(Venue yet to be decided)

Celtic appear to be struggling to field a full strength side and would need to do so against a good young Stars side who have enjoyed a superb season in the league which included a victory over the Waterside men.

Celtic have already won the Terry Kelly Cup this year, Ciaran Villa could be Stars’ main man in this tie after netting a superb hat-trick in the quarter-final against Derry City.

This tie could go all the way to extra-time with Oxford tipped to win.

The final of the Poundsworth Cup will be played in the Brandywell Stadium on Sunday, May 19th with the McAlinden Cup Final taking place in the same venue on Sunday, May 26th.

McAlinden Cup


Derry City . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1

Trojans . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1

(Trojans won on penalties)

There were very few chances in the first half with striker, Kevin Ramsey forcing a save from the Derry City keeper, the only real highlight.

Two minutes after the restart, however, Darren Coyle scored a header to put Trojans into the lead.

Derry City equalised with 15 minutes left following a scramble in the Trojans’ penalty area and Dylan McCallion was on hand to force the ball home. 1

Neither side could be separated in extra-time and Gary Ramsey proved the hero for Trojans when saving two penalties as the Creggan club won 4-3 in the shootout.

McAlinden Cup


Abercorn . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .3

Campbell’s . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3

(Abercorn won on penalties)

Abercorn found themselves a goal down after 20 minutes following a great lob from Morrow.

Campbell’s added a second through Logue before Abercorn reduced the deficit with a 30 yard drive from Dan Dillon.

Abercorn dominated the second half and it was no surprise when veteran Gareth “Pip” Cassidy shot home from close range to level matters.

The same player should have won the game during normal time, however, he could only watch as his back post header sailed narrowly wide of the target.

During extra-time Campbell’s took the lead again with a very well taken goal from Logue when he latched onto a back header and coolly lobbed the advancing keeper.

Abercorn equalised through Dillon when he rifled home at the back post after a great cross from O’Donnell.

The game was to be decided on penalties and Conway in the Abercorn goals saved the decisive spot-kick as Abercorn progressed.