Unbeaten Top of the Hill Celtic crowned Premiership Champions

The Top of the Hill Celtic players celebrate after clinnching the D&D League Cup on Sunday. DER0415-107KM
The Top of the Hill Celtic players celebrate after clinnching the D&D League Cup on Sunday. DER0415-107KM

Top of the Hill Celtic defeated their nearest rivals, Brandywell Harps 2-1 on Sunday to capture the 2014/15 Premiership title at a blustery Lisnagelvin - the Waterside club completing the season with a remarkable unbeaten record!

It was a fantastic achievement from Colin Logue’s troops and they took the lead following a scrappy first half where Colin Murray and Jimmy Boyd were guilty of missing decent chances.

The second period was a much more open contest and it was Celtic who broke the deadlock when Darren Harkin fired home from close range.

Harps responded well though and they were soon level when Eugene Ferry rifled home a wind-assisted free-kick.

The home team were not to be denied their deserved victory, however, and it was Harkin who headed home from close range as he sealed the title for Celtic.

Division One

Culmore FC 3

O’Diochan’’s 3

Despite the very windy conditions at the Sports Complex, both teams served up an entertaining game. It was Culmore who went in front first, Aaron Harkin scoring direct from a free kick with 15 minutes gone.

O’Diochan’s came more into the game after this and Durand in goal for Culmore pulled off a string of good saves from Ward and Nixon.

With 25 minutes gone, Harkin had a great chance to put Culmore further ahead after he rounded the keeper and tried to score from a tight angle but his shot was cleared off the line.

On the half hour, O’Diochan’s equalised when Darren Cassidy fired in from 25 yards. They went ahead five minutes later when Nixon volleyed in from a tight angle.

Culmore drew level 20 minutes into the second half, Caolan McFeely fired over a great cross and Ronan Fallon dived and headed it into the roof of the net.

Straight from the restart O’Diochan’s went back in front when Cassidy got his second, firing in from close range past Durand.

With time running out Culmore threw everything at O’Diochan’s and were awarded a penalty which Chris Monteith blasted into the net to give Culmore a deserved share of the points.

McAlinden Cup

Tristar FC 3

Culmore Colts 0

Tristar almost took the lead through Cussack and McNeil before half-time only for the Culmore keeper to produce two great saves.

In the second half Tristar did opened the scoring following great play from Hegarty and O’Hagan in midfield who played in Seamy Cussack who fired home from 20 yards out.

Tristar doubled their lead when McNeil played in Dean Curran who slotted home.

Tristar added a third goal when Logue was brought down in the penalty box and Owen McNeil scored from the spot to put Tristar through to the next round.

Phoenix Athletic 1

Park 7

Park eased their way into the next round with a comfortable win over Phoenix at the Showgrounds.

Park raced into a three goal lead. The first came following a great move and Calvin McCallion opened the scoring.

Minutes later it 2-0 when Darren McCreadie scored and Gareth Brown finished well from Joe McCreadie’s pass to add a third. Just before the break Park made it 4-0 when McCallion got his second of the game. Park continued the second half in the same mood and Darren McCreadie showed his class when his inch perfect free kick found the top corner.

Phoenix had a couple of chances themselves when subs Healey and McDermott combined well only for McDermott’s effort came back off the post and Doherty’s long range effort was superbly tipped over the bar by Wilson in the Park goal.

However Park were just too good and Calvin McCallion sealed his hat trick. Late on Phoenix got on the score sheet when McDermott went through and finished well but Park made it 7-0 in the closing minutes when Gareth Brown rounded off the scoring.

Lisahally 2

Oxford 9

Oxford produced a clinical performance as they easily qualified for the next round of the cup.

Lisahally took the lead when Gillespie scored with an outstanding long range range effort.

Friel quickly brought Oxford back into the game after evading a sliding tackle from a Lisahally defender. Friel composed himself to finish well when one-on-one with the Lisahally keeper.

Lisahally then gifted Friel another two goals which he finished with ease with only the keeper to beat. Kirk replied for Lisahally with a well taken long range shot which looped over the keeper’s head.

Loughry and McGinley then scored from close range to give Oxford a 5-2 lead at half-time.

Lisahally battled hard in the second half but another two clinical finishes from Friel ended the game. Roddy and ‘Gizi’ completed the rout as Oxford showed Lisahally no mercy.