Weekend Programme Decimated by Weather

Westbank forward Aaron Nash out jumps his opponent during the clash with Phoneix at Prehen.  (1109JB23)
Westbank forward Aaron Nash out jumps his opponent during the clash with Phoneix at Prehen. (1109JB23)

Last weekend’s Saturday Morning League programme took another massive hit with seven of the 10 games postponed due to waterlogged pitches

Both games in the Blue Riband Cup fell foul to the weather as did the Premiership fixture between Clifton Villa and Strabane Athletic.

Just one game survived in The Championship and that was also the case in the First Division.

In the games that did kick-off Westbank United climbed onto the Premiership summit thanks to their 3-1 defeat of Brandywell Celtic.

Art Deco were beaten 2-1 by Sion Swifts in The Championship and in the First Division Foyle Athletic lost 4-2 when facing Phoenix Athletic Colts.

Forthcoming Fixtures

Saturday, February 15th - Premier Division - Creggan Swifts v Brandywell Celtic (Lisnagelvin No. 2); Strabane Athletic v Rosemount (Strabane); Phoenix Swifts v Clifton Villa (Showgrounds); Westbank United v Du Pont (St. Columb’s Stadium).

The Championship - Collon Celtic v Tamnaherin Celtic (Prehen No. 1); Drumahoe v Bentley (YMCA); Art Deco v Gransha Institute (Prehen No. 6): Tristar v Sion Swifts (Lisnagelvin No. 4).

First Division - Culmore v HML (Culmore): Oxford United v Hatmore Harps (Thornhill College); Phoenix Athletic Colts v Oakleaf Celtic (Leafair Park); Metro v City Colts (Templemore Sports Complex).

Premier Division

Westbank United . .. . . . . . . .3

Brandywell Celtic . . .. . . . . . .1

Brandywell started very well and within eight minutes of the kick-off they found themselves in front when Dan McIntyre finished of a some good approach play with a well taken goal.

Aaron Nash spurned a few half chances for Westbank but it was Brandywell who were holding sway in the opening exchanges.

Westbank got back in to the game just before the break when Kyle Curran had his shot parried by the Brandywell keeper but Nash was on hand to guide the ball into an empty net to level the game

Indeed, things then got worse for Brandywell when referee, Malcolm Boyd, halted a Westbank attack to deal with something that was said to him by Sandy Gillespie and the Brandywell player received a straight red card for dissent.

And one minute later Westbank’s numerical superiority told when the moved into the driving seat.

Niall Grace managed to create an opening for himself and he duly drilled the ball low and hard past the Brandywell keeper to make it 2-1 to Westbank at half time.

Early in the second half Westbank scored again when Mickey Porter made room for himself before dispatching an unstoppable shot into the roof of the net to end the game as a contest.

With the extra man, Westbank remained in control of the second half and as a result of their win they moved two points clear at the top of the Premier League table.

The Championship

Art Deco . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1

Sion Swifts . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2

Art Deco may have paid the price for not having any substitutes available for this gamej.

In fact they finished the last 15 minutes with just 10 men as one of their players had to retire injured.

Art Deco started well and within 10 minutes they found themselves in front. A super cross from the right was met by Mark McLaughlin and he diverted the ball into the roof of the net.

Sion Swifts responded and they got back on level terms five minutes later. McDermott curled a superb cross into the danger area and Warren Roche applied the finish to level matters.

The second half was closely contested but in the 75th Art Deco were reduced to 10 men due to injury and with no substitutes, Sion Swifts took full advantage.

Indeed,five minutes from the end the Co. Tyrone side secured the points when McDermott again set-up Roche to score his second goal which was enough to take maximum points.

First Division

Foyle Athletic. . . . . . . . . . . . . .2

Phoenix Athletic Colts . . . . . 4

Phoenix Athletic Colts had recorded just one win before last weekend but in this game they showed exactly what they are capable of.

Phoenix started well and they soon moved in front when John Kelly hit the target to take the lead.

Taking no shortage of confidence from the goal, Phoenix continued to press and they doubled their lead when Kealan Kelly made it to 2-0.

And just before half time Phoenix extended their lead when Declan Harley won curled the free kick into the top corner of the Foyle net for a stunning 3-0 lead at half-time.

Foyle Athletic opened the second period in a determined fashion and they reduced the deficit when Kevin Thompson scored.

But Phoenix restored their three goal cushion when Ronan Kelly made it 4-1.

Foyle netted a late consolation goal near the end when Nathan Coyle scored but it was a case of too little, too late.