Gordon West Cup: Superb Limavady destroy Larne to claim Cup

  • Limavady crowned Gordon West Cup winners 2015
  • Roesiders gain revenge for league heartache
  • Retiring former captain seals perfect day at Kingspan Stadium

Limavady 46, Larne 8

Three times Limavady have played Larne this season, and three times the North Antrim Men have come away with the spoils. On each occasion Limavady have dominated only for Larne to frustrate and eventually grind out victory.

Saturday was different.

Chances that were passed up in previous games were snapped up as Limavady were deservedly crowned Gordon West Cup winners 2015!

On a day when conditions were perfect for running rugby, Limavady took the game to the pre-match favourites and cup holders, and it was Daniel Irvine who scored in the corner only three minutes in.

Just seven minutes later a good start became a great start when, following another attack down the Larne right, it was No. 8 Richard McCollum who scored.

Limavady celebrate their Gordon West Cup Final victory over Larne at the Kingspan Stadium on Saturday. (''Picture - Kevin Scott / Presseye)

Limavady celebrate their Gordon West Cup Final victory over Larne at the Kingspan Stadium on Saturday. (''Picture - Kevin Scott / Presseye)

Limavady’s confidence was soaring with the large, open pitch certainly to their liking. Time after time breaks were made and on 17 minutes the exceptional Jamie Miller broke through two tackles and raced clear from 30m for try number three. Pearse McNickle added the conversion to make it 17 points in the first 17 minutes and the Roesiders were in the driving seat.

Larne eventually got on the scoreboard going on 23 minutes out-half Phil Andrews kicked a penalty but any ideas of a comeback were quickly dispelled when Chrissy Hunter touched down for Limavady’s fourth try following great work from Faulkner and Jordan.

Four minutes later Faulkner himself got in on the scoring when he exploited another gap in the Larne defence to leave the half time score 29-3 and give Limavady one hand on the trophy.

The half-time team talk was simple: Keep up the same level of intensity and do not let Larne get a good start to the second half. The message was received loud and clear.

On 44 minutes Luke Faulkner skipped through another gap in the Larne defence and touched down under the posts with Pearse McNickle kicking his third conversion of the day it leave it 36-3 with only the matter of victory to be decided. The most popular try of the day arrived on 64 minutes when, following another steal from a Larne line-out, retiring ex-captain, Ian Campbell, reacted quickest to a loose ball and scored try number seven.

Larne No 8, Eddie Hunter grabbed a consolation on 71mins but there was still time for one more Limavady score. Four minutes from the end, replacement Adam Miller sneaked down the blind side and just managed to get the ball grounded to round off an emphatic eight-try cup final victory.

Limavady: P. Wilson, P. McNickle, C. Hunter, G. Jordan, R. Moore, L.Faulkner, J. Miller. C.Scott, I. Campbell, J. McCollum, M.Rice, M. McCollum, D. Irvine, P. Semple, R.McCollum. (Replacements L. Clyde, A. Miller, J. Purcell, J. King, A. Miller.)