The death of a local man following a road traffic collision is a “terrible loss” for all who knew him, SDLP leader Colum Eastwood has said.
The Culmore Road has now reopened to traffic following the fatal collision last night.
Police lifted the cordon just before 9am this morning.
The 70-year-old man who died had been struck by a car shortly before 6.55pm.
It is understood he was a pedestrian who lived in the local area.
The man is also understood to be well known locally, but he has not been officially named as yet.
SDLP leader Colum Eastwood was among those who knew him.
Foyle MLA Mr Eastwood told the Journal this morning: “It is a terrible tragedy for the family and friends.
“I knew him and he was someone who was very committed to his family and his community, and his death will be a terrible loss to all who knew him.”
Sinn Féin Councillor Mickey Cooper meanwhile has also expressed his condolences following the tragic death.
Speaking today he said: “The local community is shocked and saddened by the death of a man in an accident on the Culmore Road on Sunday night.
“I would like to express my sympathies to the family and friends of this man.”
Traffic across the wider area had been building up during the rush hour this morning prior to the road reopening.
Police investigating the circumstances of the collision are appealing for witnesses. The number to call 101.