Man arrested in England over murder of Paul McCauley
A 61 year old man has been arrested in England by detectives investigating the murder of Paul McCauley in Derry in 2006.
Police say the suspect was detained in Kent yesterday and brought to Northern Ireland for questioning. He is being interviewed at Musgrave police station in Belfast.
Two men aged 27 and 28 who were detained yesterday in Derry remain in custody.
They had been arrested last year and were released on police bail but are now being interviewed again at Strand Road police station.
Paul (38) died in June 2015 in a care facility almost nine years after an attack in July 2006.
He was attending a summer BBQ at the rear of a house in Chapel Road on July 15, 2006. At 3.20am on July 16, only three people remained at the BBQ. A number of individuals came out from the bushes and attacked Paul and two of his friends.
After the assault the group made off in the direction of Irish Street.
The officer leading the investigation, Detective Chief Inspector Michael Harvey, said: “This investigative activity brings the number of detentions since Paul’s death last year to 16. One person has been charged with murder and another individual has been reported to the public prosecution service.
“We said after Paul died that this investigation would take on a renewed momentum and this momentum is continuing. Detectives are available to speak with anyone who decides they want to talk to us. Even after almost 10 years, it is not too late to do the right thing and come forward. Anyone with information about the attack and its tragic outcome can speak to detectives on the non-emergency number 101.”