Takeaway chef sustained burns to hands and neck
Fire-fighters have confirmed that the chef at a local takeaway was treated for burns to his hands and neck following a fire at the premises.
The chef at Rainbow Cantonese restaurant was treated at the scene before being transferred to Altnagelvin Hospital. He has since bee released.
A Northern Ireland Fire & Rescue Service spokesperson said today they were tasked to deal with a fire at the three-storey end terrace building on lower Carlisle Road at 10.15am on Sunday.
She said: “Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus tackled a fire in the roof space of the building which was well alight. The fire was extinguished by 11.25am.
“One man, aged 47, received burns to his hands and neck and received first aid by firefighters prior to the arrival of the Ambulance Crew.
“Two fire appliances from Northland, two from Crescent Link and two from Strabane Fire Stations attended. The fire is being treated as accidental ignition.
“NIFRS informed Derry City & Strabane District Council about the incident for public safety reasons as the roof of the building was damaged.”
A cordon has been erected around the building as a safety precaution.