Broadway show Hamilton will be available to stream on Disney+ this summer - here’s how to watch it
As lockdown continues to limit entertainment options, home streaming services such as Netflix, Amazon Prime and Disney+ have become more important than ever for keeping people sane.
And musical fans will be delighted to hear that smash hit Broadway show Hamilton will be dropping on Disney+ this summer, more than a year before its planned theatrical release.
Here’s when it’s out and how to watch it.
Why is Hamilton being shown on Disney+?
Initially, Disney+ had plans to drop the theatrical release of the recording of the stage musical on October 15, 2021 - those plans have now been brought forward by a full year.
The filmed version of the musical does not follow the same live action adaptation treatment that other big musicals in the past have seen, like Cats and Les Miserables.
Instead, the release is edited together from three recordings of the Broadway show back in 2016.
The announcement comes after a variety of theatre shows are making filmed versions available to watch online.
The National Theatre has streamed live performances of Frankenstien, starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Jonny Lee Miller, and a number of Andrew Lloyd Webber musicals have been made available for streaming on YouTube.
What is Hamilton about?
Hamilton is a musical that follows the life of founding father Alexander Hamilton.
The production incorporates the likes of hip hop, RnB, pop, soul and traditional style show tunes as well to tell the story of Alexander Hamilton's life.
The musical was inspired by the 2004 biography of Alexander Hamilton by historian Row Chernow - the musical itself was written and created by Lin-Manuel Miranda.
The musical follows Hamilton’s life in two acts. It showcases how his life was influenced by characters such as Aaron Burr, an American politician and lawyer, Lafayette, a French aristocrat and military officer, and former presidents George Washington, James Madison and Thomas Jefferson.
Since Hamilton opened, it has received critical acclaim, racking up a variety of awards - the show even holds the record for most Tony Award nominations with 16 nominations.
Roger Iger said: “No other artistic work in the last decade has had the cultural impact of Hamilton - an inspiring and captivating tale told and performed in a powerfully creative way.
“In light of the extraordinary challenges facing our world, this story about leadership, tenacity, hope, love and the power of people to unite against the forces of adversity if both relevant and impactful.”
Who is starring in the film version?
The filmed version of the show will see many of the original stars in their original roles as the show was filmed in June 2016.
The cast includes:
- Lin-Manuel Miranda (His Dark Materials, Mary Poppins Returns) as the titular Alexander Hamilton
- Daveed Digs (Black-ish, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt) as Marquis de Lafayette/Thomas Jefferson
- Renee Elise Goldsberry (Altered Carbon, The Get Down) as Angelica Schuyler
- Leslie Odom Jr (Murder on the Orient Express, Law and Order: SVU) as Aaron Burr
- Christopher Jackson (Bull, When They See Us) as George Washington
- Jonathan Groff (Mindhunter, Looking) as King George III
- Phillipa Soo (The Code, Smash) as Eliza Hamilton
- Jasmine Cephas Jones (Mrs. Fletcher, Girls) as Peggy Schuyler/Maria Reynolds
- Okieriete Onaodowan (Station 19, Grey’s Anatomy) as Hercules Mulligan/James Madison
- Anthony Ramos (She’s Gotta Have It, Will & Grace) as John Laurens/Philip Hamilton
- Ephriam Sykes (Vinyl, Smash) as George Eacker
When will it be available to stream?
Hamilton will be available to stream exclusively on Disney+ on Friday 3 July.
You can begin streaming Disney+ with a seven day free trial, after which it will cost £5.99 per month.
Alternatively you can sign up for the whole year for £59.99, which would save you 15% compared to the monthly subscription.