Derry City bounce back with hard fought victory over Waterford

Derry City boss, Declan Devine celebrates with goalscorer, Ciaron Harkin.Derry City boss, Declan Devine celebrates with goalscorer, Ciaron Harkin.
Derry City boss, Declan Devine celebrates with goalscorer, Ciaron Harkin.
Derry City 3 Waterford 2

DERRY CITY had their fair share of luck but fully deserved a hard fought victory over Waterford at a packed Ryan McBride Brandywell Stadium.

Republic of Ireland U21 boss and former City manager Stephen Kenny watched on from the Mark Farren Stand as the Declan Devine's men bounced back from defeat to Shamrock Rovers on Friday night.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Man of the match, Ciaron Harkin put Derry in front with a clinical first time finish from just outside the penalty area after 14 minutes.

Shane Duggan equalised for Waterford from the penalty spot on the hour mark after Darren Cole collided with Bastien Hery in the box.

Two own goals from Waterford's Rory Feely and makeshift right-back, Georgie Poynton in the space of 10 minutes gave Derry a comfortable advantage.

However, Waterford substitute, Cory Galvin fired in a spectacular effort with two minutes left on the clock but the Blues ran out of time as City made it two wins from two at home.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Declan Devine made two changes to the team which lost in Tallaght last Friday night with Darren Cole returning from injury and Michael McCrudden handed his first start.

Republic of Ireland U21 manager Stephen Kenny watches from the standRepublic of Ireland U21 manager Stephen Kenny watches from the stand
Republic of Ireland U21 manager Stephen Kenny watches from the stand

Eoghan Stokes and defender, Josh Kerr both dropped to the bench as City looked to get back on the winning track.

Fresh from that impressive win over Cork City at Turners' Cross, Waterford made just the one change with Aaron Drinan replacing Izzy Akinade. New signing, former Bohs and Dundalk midfielder, Georgie Poynton was named on the subs' bench.

The game sparked into life on 10 minutes when Cole did brilliantly to win the ball from Hery inside the Waterford half. And when McNamee eventually spread play wide to Ogedi-Uzokwe, the Londoner crossed dangerously into the six yard box but Harkin, who got in front of Rory Feely at the back post, couldn't find that vital touch.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Waterford wasted a glorious chance to take the lead on 13 minutes when Zachary Elbouzedi raced clean through on goal but Cherrie saved low to his right before Patrick McClean cleared the danger.

Almost immediately Derry were on the attack and after great work from Ogedi-Uzokwe and McCrudden, the ball came to Harkin on the edge of the box and the midfielder curled his clinical strike into the corner.

The Blues pressed for the equaliser and Cherrie once again came to the rescue for Derry when Hery found Drinan in space but the City keeper turned his shot behind at the near post.

McNamee found Ogedi-Uzokwe racing clear down the right flank with a sublime pass but the striker dragged his shot across goal and wide of the far post.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Waterford were under pressure and Damien Delaney gifted possession to McNamee who played Parkhouse in on goal but his right footed shot was saved by the outrushing Matthew Connor on 35 minutes.

McCrudden had a chance to double Derry's lead 60 seconds later when Ogedi-Uzokwe found him in space at the back post but he sent his half volley high over the bar.

Parkhouse turned Blues defender, Kenny Browne all too easily inside the Waterford half. The Sheffield United loanee raced towards goal with McNamee in support but his sent his shot wide of the target.

From a Waterford corner Derry failed to clear and when Cole collided with Hery just inside the box referee, Neil Doyle pointed to the spot. Up stepped Duggan to tuck away the spot-kick on the hour mark.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Derry hit the front on 75 minutes when McClean's inviting cross into the Waterford six yard box was turned into his own net by Feely and it was no more than the home side deserved.

After sustained pressure on the Waterford goal Harkin crossed towards the back post and once again a Blues defender, this time, Poynton, turned into his own net.

Parkhouse should've put the game beyond doubt moments later when Greg Sloggett found him lurking in the area but he screwed his shot wide.

Waterford substitute, Galvin fired a spectacular strike into the top corner past Cherrie to give the visitors hope of a comeback with two minutes to go but it proved too little, too late.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Derry City: P. Cherrie; D. Cole, E. Toal, A. Gilchrist, P. McClean; J. Ogedi-Uzokwe, G. Sloggett, C. Harkin (G. Bruna 87), M. McCrudden (A. Delap 70); B. McNamee; D. Parkhouse; Subs Not Used - N. Gartside, C. Coll, E. Tweed, E. Stokes, J. Kerr.

Waterford: M. Connor; K. Lynch (G. Poynton 30), D. Delaney, K. Brown, R. Feely; Z. Elbouzedi, S. Duggan, JJ. Luney, B. Hery; S. Twine (C. Galvin 57), A. Drinan (I. Akinade 63); H. Ketro, M. Kouogun, D. Walsh, S. Griffin.

Referee - Neil Doyle (Dubin).