Institute blow Annagh United away to ease into Samuel Gelston's Whiskey Irish Cup next round

Institute 4, Annagh United 0

Midfielder Orrin McLaughlin fired home Institute's fourth goal against Annagh United.
Midfielder Orrin McLaughlin fired home Institute's fourth goal against Annagh United.

Institute cruised past fellow Lough 41 Championship men Annagh United, to book their place in the Samuel Gelston's Whiskey Irish Cup last 16.

The Drumahoe side used the windy conditions to their advantage in a massive way, as their opening three goals were all wind assisted, but manager Brian Donaghey will be pleased by Cormac Burke's deliveries for all three goals.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Another man who produced the goods for the home side was debut boy Jack McFeely, the young striker scored one and set-up Orrin McLaughlin, but his overall play meant he was a threat through the tie.

The visitors went close on 10 minutes but Craig Taylor's close range effort flew well over the bar, after he nipped in at the near post to connect with Conor Mullen's cross.

'Stute took the lead three minutes later as Cormac Burke's super teasing left wing free-kick was whipped into the six yard box and Leppard rose well to nod the ball home, giving United goalkeeper Ronan Burns no chance.

On 38 minutes the home side doubled their lead in similar fashion to their opening goal, as this time Burke's inswinging free-kick from the left caught out everyone and flew past the stranded Burns.

Moments later another Burke delivery, this time from the right, was flicked on by Dylan King, but Rhys McDermott was unable to keep his close range header down, when he ghosted in at the back post.

Just before the break Institute ended the tie as a contest when another Burke corner from the left caused problems for Burns, who was only able to parry the delivery away and debut boy Jack McFeely picked up the loose ball, before firing high into the net from the right hand side of the six yard box.

The Waterside men scored a fourth in stunning fashion on 51 minutes as Alonzo Clarke's cross field pass from the right found McFeely, the young striker brought the ball down before finding Orrin McLaughlin and the midfielder blasted home past Burns.

Institute were inches away from scoring a fifth goal ten minutes later when Jamie McCormick charged down Burns clearance, but the ball flashed just past the keeper's right hand post.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Despite have the wind to their advantage in the second half, the Portadown men's first shot on target came on 81 minutes but right-back Nathan Kerr saw his long range pile driver tipped over by 'Stute keeper Dylan Doherty.

Institute: Doherty, McDermott, Leppard, King, McAleer; O McLaughlin (M McLaughlin 86), Doherty, Clarke (P McLaughlin 70); McFeely (A McLaughlin 86), McCormick, Burke.

Annagh United: Burns, Kerr, Campbell, Finnegan, Eagle, Mullen (Stewart 69), Murray, Taylor, McGuinness, McCullough, Moffatt.

Referee: Steven Gregg