INSTITUTE: Wilson comes back to haunt old club

Goalkeeper Corey Wilson came back to haunt his old club, as he produced a man of the match display to see ten men Dergview secure a 0-0 against Institute.

Thursday, 31st March 2016, 12:27 am
Updated Thursday, 31st March 2016, 12:41 am
Kevin Deery Institute Manager. DER0616GS

The Waterside man made a string of top class saves to ensure the Castlederg side secured a valuable point in their fight against relegation.

As for Stute boss Kevin Deery. he will be pleased that his side kept their seventh clean-sheet in a row, but bitterly disappointed that they never collected all three points.

The visitors had the chances but Wilson’s heroics and some never say die defending, ensured for the second game between the sides in just over a week, finished score-less.

The first real effort came on 18 minutes but Robbie Hume’s 20 yard free-kick was easily gathered at the second attempt by Dergview keeper Corey Wilson.

A minute later the visitors missed a golden chance to take the lead when Hume’s low left-wing cross fell perfectly to an unmarked Gareth Brown, but his close range strike was kept out by the ex-Stute keeper.

Soon after Brown again went close but this time his left footed strike from the right hand side the box, hit the side netting.

Former Institute man Jude Ballard was sent-off on 35 minutes as he picked up his second booking for kicking the ball away, after having been cautioned earlier.

Wilson made an outstanding save minutes later when at full stretch he superbly tipped over Brown’s 20 yard pile driver.

The ten men continued to battle hard and denied Stute any clear cut chances in the early stages of the second half.

In fact the only strike at goal came on 60 minutes but Shane McGinty’s strike was saved by Wilson.

Institute missed a glorious chance just after the hour mark when Brown’s shot was parried away by Wilson and Niall Grace’s close range follow-up shot was blocked on the line by Andrew Sproule before clipping the post.

Soon after Hume centre drew Wilson from his line and although he didn’t get there centre-back Mark Scoltock’s glancing header flashed inches wide.

Deery’s side continued to push forward looking for the winner and on 80 minutes a flowing move ended with Hume’s centre finding Jamie McIntyre at the back post, but instead of heading towards goal his cushioned knock down found substitute Stephen Mills, but he was unable to get an effort towards goal.

Right at the death an outstanding Sean Roddy centre found Scoltock, but his powerful header was tipped onto the bar by Wilson and Colin Robinson cleared the loose ball.

Dergview: Wilson, Porter, Ballard, Warnock, Robinson, Burns, Arkinson, Buchannon, Sproule, Patterson, Cashel.

Institute: Gallagher, Roddy, Scoltock, McDermott, Hume; McIntyre, C Harkin, McCrudden (Dunne 66); McIntyre; Grace, Brown (Mills 72).