IRISH LEAGUE: Excellent Dungannon too strong for Coleraine


Saturday, 13th August 2016, 4:58 pm
Updated Saturday, 13th August 2016, 6:00 pm
Dungannon Swifts' Jamie Glackin
and Coleraine's Rodney Brown
Dungannon Swifts' Jamie Glackin and Coleraine's Rodney Brown

Dungannon Swifts racked up their first win of the season in some style at Stangmore Park on Saturday.

They blew Coleraine away in the first half hour as they hit three goals without reply thanks to Ally Teggart, Ryan Harpur and Seanan Clucas.

Harpur added a second after the break to make it a day to remember for Rodney McAree’s men.

The hosts got off to a dream start as Teggart bundled the ball home at the back post on three minutes after Jamie Glackin’s cross from the right caught the Coleraine defence napping.

Skipper Harpur almost doubled his side’s advantage four minutes later as he fired a volley towards goal, but Chris Johns produced a decent stop to deny him.

The Bannsiders looked neat in possession, and on 12 minutes Brad Lyons and James McLaughlin combined with the teenage midfielder only being denied by a good block from David Armstrong.

Swifts hit back straight away as Andy Mitchell muscled his way past Steven Douglas, but his weak shot was smothered by Johns.

It took another smart stop from the visiting keeper on 20 minutes to deny Andrew Burns as he got on the end of another neat build up to fire a low shot in towards the near post.

But the home side didn’t have long to wait for a second as Harpur popped up in the right pace at the right time to double the lead.

Seanan Clucas drilled a low cross into the six yard box, and the captain slid in to make it 2-0 on 26 minutes.

And just three minutes later it was 3-0 as Clucas diverted in Teggart’s corner to make it a magnificent half hour for the Swifts.

Brad Lyons was proving to be Coleraine’s best attacking threat and he almost pulled a goal back on 42 minutes as he got on the end of David Kee’s corner only to turn it wide of the target.

That man Lyons almost pulled one back for the Bannsiders at the start of the second half as he latched on to McLaughlin’s clever pass, but his dinked finish was deflected wide by Coleman.

From the corner Swifts broke clear with Teggart feeding the ball through to the unmarked Mitchell, but Johns reacted well to tip his powerful effort around the post.

Johns called into action again on 56 minutes as Teggart tried his luck from distance, but the keeper was able to it.

But he was helpless second later as Harpur cut in from the left before crashing as shot off the upright.

Harpur was instrumental for the fourth after a mistake by Johns. He spilled Mitchell’s shot and as Harpur followed in the ball was bundled in by a combination of the midfielder and the keeper.

Dungannon Swifts: Coleman, Hegarty, Wilson (Fitzpatrick 79), Armstrong, O’Rourke, Clucas, Burns, Glackin, Harpur, Mitchell (Lavery 79), Teggart (Lowe 71).

Subs: Addis, Douglas.

Goals: Teggart (3), Harpur (26, 72), Clucas (29).

Coleraine: Johns, Mullan, Douglas, Ogilby, Brown, McCauley (McGonigle 52), McCafferty (Higgins 63), Kee, Lyons, Twigg (Parkhill 58), McLaughlin.

Subs: Edgar, Morrow.

Referee: Tim Marshall.