Paul McElroy's brace seals Dungannon Swifts win over Institute

Dungannon Swifts' Paul McElroy (left) fired home a second half brace to defeat Institute.Dungannon Swifts' Paul McElroy (left) fired home a second half brace to defeat Institute.
Dungannon Swifts' Paul McElroy (left) fired home a second half brace to defeat Institute.
Dungannon Swifts 2-1 Institute

Dungannon Swifts secured their second league victory of the season thanks to a second half fight-back, which seen off Institute.

Winger Paul McElroy netted a brace after the break to seal Kris Lindsay's first league success since become Swifts manager.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The visitors, who lead thanks to Dean Curry's early header, were fuming after McElroy's leveller from the penalty spot, as they were disappointed with Keith Kennedy's decision, which incredibly was his fifth penalty awarded against 'Stute in his last five games when being the man in the middle.

The Belfast man's decision was a poor one, as the ex-Portadown winger clearly dived and left his leg trailing behind him to make contact with Curry, despite not looking like awarding the penalty, Kennedy pointed to the spot after his assistant signalled.

Institute took the lead after just three minutes as Corey McMullan stupidly fouled Joe McCready on the left hand edge of the box and Michael McCrudden's resulting free-kick into the six yard box found Curry, who nodded home from close range.

Swifts went close to levelling things a minute later as Grant Hutchinson's 20 yard drive through a number of players, was saved by 'Stute keeper Marty Gallagher.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The end to end start continued on seven minutes as the visitors went close themselves but Gareth Brown's side footed effort from an acute angle was blocked by Hutchinson, after Ronan Wilson had created the clear cut chance.

Soon after a Mark Patton free-kick from left found Seanan Clucas unmarked inside the box, but the ex-Derry City man's poor header from 12 yards was well off target.

Just after the half hour mark McMullan should have levelled things as Patton's left wing cross found the midfielder at the near post, but he failed to trouble Gallagher and side footed wide.

The woodwork came to 'Stute's rescue on 43 minutes as Patton's cross-cum-shot rattled Gallagher's crossbar.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Swifts levelled things on 50 minutes in somewhat controversial circumstances as McElroy seemed to fall far to easily inside the box when he was close to Curry and after taking his time to give the penalty, referee Kennedy pointed to the spot after his assistant signalled for the spot-kick, much to the visitors' frustration.

After the protests were waved away McElroy got to his feet and slotted home the resulting effort from 12 yards, sending Gallagher the wrong way and placing the ball low into the keeper's bottom right hand corner.

The Swifts took the lead on 75 minutes as Patton skipped away from Ronan Wilson down the left before seeing his low shot parried away by Gallagher and McElroy was on hand to side fire home the loose ball.

Right at the death the woodwork came to home side's rescue as Curry's 30 yard left footed rocket, which had Swifts keeper Niall Morgan well beaten, rattled the crossbar.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Dungannon Swifts: Morgan, Dykes, Hegarty, Clucas, McMullan, McElroy, Teggart, Patton (Armstrong 92), Lowe, Hutchinson, Lafferty (Burke 72).

Institute: Gallagher, Morrow (Moorehead 63), Bonner, D Curry, McLaughlin; Wilson, Jarvis (McIntyre 78), Doherty, Brown (Henderson 76); McCrudden, McCready.

Referee: Mr Keith Kennedy (Belfast).

Related topics: